Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
even if a locomotive that typically weighs 130 tons or so had 65 tons of batteries, that would not be a big deal when pulling a train with 100 cars each of which weighed 80 tons.

For sure, the weight is not really an issue for locomotives.
A bigger problem might be the life cycle capital cost of those 65 tons of batteries.
They have a very high initial cost, and a finite lifespan, and some supply bottlenecks that might halt cost erosion.
I haven't done the math, just wondering.

There are some things that plain old EV works well for.
And others that old fashioned pumpable fuel works better for.
Obviously that liquid fuel has to be sourced in a green way if you don't want "externalities", but that can be done.

digression---

Speaking of pumpable fuel, I think this is pretty cool. "Power Paste".
https://www.fraunhofer.de/en/press/research-news/2021/februa...

Stable, pumpable fuel goo for small engines like motorcycles which stores hydrogen at room temperature and pressure.
When you want some hydrogen, mix some water with the paste. Run the hydrogen into a fuel cell. (or burn it, if that's your thing).
When you don't want hydrogen, it just sits there. Stable up to 250 C so very safe.
When you run out, swap in a new cartridge full of goo. And top up the water.
Pumpable, so it's cheap to ship in bulk, and no tricky infrastructure needed at filling stations.
Ten times the energy storage density of batteries. Commonly available cheap minerals: it's mostly magnesium hydride.
Not suited to all applications...I suspect based on zero evidence that it's quite inefficient when making the paste, as end-to-end efficiency is the one thing they don't talk about.
I presume the spent magnesium would be gathered, cleaned, and "recharged" with fresh hydrogen at the factory.
They mention it as suitable for scooters, perhaps cars and delivery vehicles, perhaps as a range extender for EVs.
If the overall efficiency were OK, maybe it would be good for locomotives too.

Most such new inventions flop, of course, but it would be nice for "grey goo" to get a better reputation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_goo

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.