Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Even in the 1960s, college sports was a major factor for a significant part of the college selection. Who didn't want to got to a school with a top football team? Rah rah rah!

Of course, many state colleges had competitive football, from Univ of TX and several campuses, Texas A&M, etc. Many 'elite' schools have none like Baylor..... Univ of IL, Alabama, OH state , MI.......

For some, it's the fraternities and making 'contacts' valuable after college - like Harvard - Princeton, etc. (not much football at Harvard, though - top Hockey team - maybe other sports)...,

I did go to private engineering college - and graduated with some loans..... which were paid off in 2 years. Yeah, after college I drove a 3 year old car. I had 2 room mates the first year in a 'garden Apt' in the suburbs, and 1 the next two years. Paid off the car loan in 18 months, too. No spring break trips - other than home - and same for summer. At parents house working a job to earn 'spending money' for college - like 8-10/week during the year. Lived in the dorms. Had a roommate 3 of 4 years.

Big expenditures at the time were occasional trips to downtown Chicago.....visit some nightclubs packed with 20 year olds. Cost a few bucks - maybe once a month. Or a pizza out with friends - once every two weeks..... I guess the 'regulars' were there every weekend spending bucks from their jobs.

It was nearly 20 years before I bought my first 1350 sq ft house. (1977) .....

Now, most 'starter' houses are double the size.

- - --

I just can't image how people , a few, pile up $250,000 in debt - other than medical school....and ever expect to pay it off.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.