Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 29
CM: The policy of American corn into fuel was one of the dumbest ideas in the history of the world. I’m in Nebraska, and I like Nebraskans to prosper, but this is an idea that I think is probably on its way out.

WB: A CDO squared is nuttiness squared. I think the discipline, mild as it may be, to have management state their assets at cost, has a positive benefit. Charlie found an instrument one time that was misvalued by $20 million back when that was real money.

CM: Some of my Republican friends have overdosed on Ayn Rand, and seem to believe that anything that happens in a free market system for someone’s best interest it was good, even if it was an axe murder.

I think some things that should be forbidden. If the phrase “this is a financial instrument that is designed to reduce risk” had been banned then the American financial system would work better.

Q. On the future of mass transit and in particular railroads.

WB: The American public basically doesn’t like mass transit. American love affair with the car is sort of overwhelming. You could make all kinds of rational arguments to people about the benefits of mass transit, but one car per person seems to be an unbeatable model. Even with gas at $4, people don’t want to wait. I don’t like to bet on something that’s gone one way for decades suddenly reversing/

CM: You have a more optimistic view of it than I have.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.