No. of Recommendations: 0
Even though he entire country is rioting,
There are protests across the country, not rioting. Big difference. The lootings have gone down significantly in the last few days, and police are taking actions against looters. But protests are happening across the country, including small towns.

I've yet to see anyone find anything that shows this happened because Mr. Floyd was black.

You can wake up a person who is sleeping, but if you are pretending to sleep... The police chief acknowledged this happened because the victim was a black person.

Let us ask the question another way. How many white folks die in the hands of cops? Did he attack the cops, or was there any confrontation or danger for cops' life? Why do the Cops need to kneel on his neck for 8 minutes?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
The question of the day is how do we drive racism out of law enforcement?

I think it has been done successfully in the military. Truman integrated the military in 1947. Since then promotion has been by merit. Blacks have prospered.
No. of Recommendations: 6
What is so depressing about this is the mass media's penetration into the minds of so many who are young and driven by one-liners that sound good on the surface, without taking the time to think things through.

I'm sure the HFH person who sent out the e-mail is idealistic and wants to do what is right. But being fed a steady diet of propaganda from the left wing activist media, has given this individual a very warped sense of what is actually transpiring out there and what it means.

I'm reminded of the video I saw yesterday of a pizza shop run by employees with much the same view as he/she who wrote the e-mail you reference, who were in the pizzeria they owned, when two rocks came flying through one of their windows. "Stop!!" they shouted in unison through the broken glass...."WE'RE ON YOUR SIDE!" their voices screamed. Just then another rock came flying through the second window.

I wonder how the HFH official who wrote that e-mail would respond if a house he/she were just finishing for a needy family, was attacked by looters wearing BLM t-shirts, all tools and building materials stolen or destroyed and the house set on fire. Would the HFH person respond with another e-mail apologizing for his race and praising the looters for standing up and taking action?

Suggest you reply to the HFH sender and ask this question.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 9

The question for me is how do we get people to stop defining THEMSELVES and each other, first and foremost, by race? (And maybe a good start would be to have the schools stop teaching them to do so.)

Look. Some thug, who happens to be black, starts a brawl with the cops and ends up dead - and a bunch of people around the country think "the cops killed a black person, I'm a black person, I might be next."

Why aren't they thinking "the cops killed a violent thug, I'm NOT a violent thug, I WON'T be next."?

There is, after all, a simple demographic for - to very high accuracy - who does and doesn't get beaten or killed by cops. Violent thugs and rude loudmouths, and occasionally those who hang out with them, do. Law-abiding people who treat cops respectfully, don't. As entertainer Chris Rock laid out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Convincing people that "black" is more important than "thug" is a disservice to everyone, but particularly to people that only the first of those terms applies to.
No. of Recommendations: 5
"The question of the day is how do we drive racism out of law enforcement?

I think it has been done successfully in the military. Truman integrated the military in 1947. Since then promotion has been by merit. Blacks have prospered. "

That's a good question, deserving of respectful discussion. Having been raised in a mixed race working class neighborhood of Portland and having retired from the military, let me take a shot at it.

The military works for many, particularly the Army and Marine Corps, because it is highly structured with very little wiggle-room for self expression. Deviations from this are generally not tolerated. Yes, I agree, blacks tend to do very well in this environment. I could give multiple anecdotal stories, but suffice-to-say, I've had bosses, peers and subordinates....many over my career there, who happened to be of African descent. I think I can speak for just about all I served with, race didn't matter. Being effective mattered.

Life on the street in the 'projects' is an entirely different world. Other than loose social norms, perhaps religious standards of behavior for some and statutory laws, there is no structure...except, for most, what life on the street dictates. Poverty is the norm for many, with reliance on government welfare programs. Police with a career working in these neighborhoods can become cynical and its not too difficult for some to go from cynicism to views of racism. I'm not saying its right, it isn't. But for some, it will be a consequence of their own human nature. Those who challenge this, I would encourage them to go through the Police academy and volunteer to serve in the almost exclusively black neighborhoods and then after a couple of years, render their option.

I have trouble accepting that this is due to white racism that can be somehow trained-away. Those of all races raised by two parents in a Judaeo-Christian community with rigid moral principals on what is acceptable and what isn't are likely going to have the hardest time having to deal with law enforcement on a daily basis in a large African American community. Until this problem is dealt with as a cultural conflict rather than some kind of white-supremacist problem, it is only going to continue.

Just one view

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 3
When organizations like this take left wing political 'virtue signalling' attitudes, they lose my support and money.

Period.

I won't ever buy a Domino's pizza or Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream for that reason. Goes back a decade or more for them.

If I were going to buy chicken out, I'd head to Chic-Fil-A or whatever it is first.....

City of Dallas administration is disgusting (Leftist democrats) ......glad I live in far suburbs......

t.
<...Life on the street in the 'projects' is an entirely different world. Other than loose social norms, perhaps religious standards of behavior for some and statutory laws, there is no structure...except, for most, what life on the street dictates. Poverty is the norm for many, with reliance on government welfare programs.>

I have listened to Scott Adams podcasts a lot since last fall and especially over the last few months. He has provided a calming and optimistic voice on not selling America short. He tackles the various topics head on offering up an expanded take on the main news items of the day including what is and is not said by our media.

As part of reviewing his history, he points out that in the 1980's his career at a large California bank ended when his boss told him straightforward that despite his excellent work, he was unpromoteble because he was a male and he was white. His next career move took him to Pacific Bell where he worked for a block of years. Again, despite great reviews each year, his career path was again blocked. His manager told him that it would be impossible for him to be promoted to a senior management position because he was male and white.

It was during this time that he began devoting more time to his cartooning enterprise which soon took off. Many years later he was approached about creating a tv cartoon version of the comic strip. It had a very successful first season and was renewed for a second. The network he had chosen was UPN, an independent one. Between the first and second season, the network decided that it wanted to massively switch its programming to appeal to a heavily urban audience. The time slot of the second season assured a decline in the ratings which was used to not renew the show.

Instead of welling up with bitterness, Adams moved on each time. Going heavy into creating and launching Dilbert was his response. He has said that there have always been people offering him useful advice that he was able to apply to his life. He makes that point that companies are even more desirous of hiring minorities who have some basic skill sets that they can apply to their work.

There are lots of minority men and women who have done just that. What one finds in a large percentage of successful people regardless of their color is a solid family foundation, an emphasis on education, not having children before you are able to take care of them and learning basic skills that can be used every day of your life.

The difficulty arises with what you reference above. If you have a crumbling foundation of a family life, you drop out of school, have kids you cannot or will not take care of, you will have a huge wall that will be tough if not impossible to climb over. That simple fact applies to all.

I have not watched very much news lately. One story that I did see yesterday broke my heart. An older black woman was being interviewed. She was angry and crying too. A local grocery store in her working class neighborhood had been looted and totally destroyed. She arrived there to do her shopping only to find there was nothing to shop for. It was all gone. This wasn't a corner bodega. It was a decent sized grocery store. The main one in her area. Now all those who worked there from the neighborhood have lost their jobs. Now many with limited means will have to somehow find what they need elsewhere. She asked "What has been gained by all this"?

A very simple question.

What is the answer?

BG
No. of Recommendations: 16

Even though he entire country is rioting, I've yet to see anyone find anything that shows this happened because Mr. Floyd was black. Nobody has debunked that he and the officer worked together. And nobody has shown anything showing that the officer was a racist. He is a murderer. I personally think this had nothing to do with their respective races, and a lot to do with some personal grudge between them.

If there is a city in America that is NOT racist, it's Atlanta. We are an overwhelmingly majority black-run city. Not only is our mayor black, we haven't had a white mayor in decades. Our police force is largely black. Our fire department is largely black. Our civil servants in general are quite largely black. Atlanta has not had a riot in over 100 years.

Yet, there were riots here. What racism was there to fight here in Atlanta? This whole thing has nothing to do with racism. Racism is a pretext. This is a coup attempt. Another coup attempt.

Kathleen
Even though he entire country is rioting,
There are protests across the country, not rioting. Big difference. The lootings have gone down significantly in the last few days, and police are taking actions against looters. But protests are happening across the country, including small towns.

I've yet to see anyone find anything that shows this happened because Mr. Floyd was black.

You can wake up a person who is sleeping, but if you are pretending to sleep... The police chief acknowledged this happened because the victim was a black person.

Let us ask the question another way. How many white folks die in the hands of cops? Did he attack the cops, or was there any confrontation or danger for cops' life? Why do the Cops need to kneel on his neck for 8 minutes?
"Let us ask the question another way. How many white folks die in the hands of cops?"

Actually, three times as many white folks got shot by cops than black cops last year. Point a gun or weapon at a cop, or charge him, you'll wind up dead.

"Did he attack the cops, or was there any confrontation or danger for cops' life? "

When he died, he had 4 times the lethal limit of fentanyl in his system.

"Once restrained, however, Floyd was “compliant”.

Asking him if he was “on anything” the officer explained that he was arresting him for “passing counterfeit currency”, the report adds.

But, on the way to the cops' car, Floyd panicked, and said that he suffered from “claustrophobia”."

“While standing outside the car, Mr Floyd began saying and repeating that he could not breathe,” prosecutors say.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/931741/did-george-floyd-have-cr...

- --

Apparently, Floyd was on drugs, and even sitting and standing had problems breathing. He didn't want to get back in the car.

He was 6'7" tall - former football player and currently a 'bouncer' at a bar.

- - ---

A full autopsy report on George Floyd, the man who died after being restrained by Minneapolis police last month, reveals that he was positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The 20-page report also indicates that Floyd had fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system at the time of his death"

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racia...

t

t.
When he died, he had 4 times the lethal limit of fentanyl in his system

I assume you are a very healthy strong male. I suppose you can take a knee on your neck for 9 minutes and get up and run a mile.

All the experts who reviewed the autopsy report agreed that the death is due to police action. Stop acting a medical expert.
Why do the Cops need to kneel on his neck for 8 minutes?

Apparently, Minneapolis police are trained to do so: https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/06/larry-c-johnson-dea...

-Donna
No. of Recommendations: 2
Apparently. Hence the protests and call for police reform. It is long overdue. The militarization of police, along with police union, allowed cops to inflict far more damage and getaway. Cops are taking 65% of many city budgets, that need to be addressed. While many states have legalized marijuana and even made it as "essential business" during COVID, yet we have millions of folks in prison for those very crimes. The way drug usage is viewed and someone using drugs are automatically assumed to be criminal by the cops need to change. It is about time we implement criminal justice reforms and police reforms.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Apparently. Hence the protests and call for police reform. It is long overdue. The militarization of police, along with police union, allowed cops to inflict far more damage and getaway. Cops are taking 65% of many city budgets, that need to be addressed. While many states have legalized marijuana and even made it as "essential business" during COVID, yet we have millions of folks in prison for those very crimes. The way drug usage is viewed and someone using drugs are automatically assumed to be criminal by the cops need to change. It is about time we implement criminal justice reforms and police reforms. - Kingran

-------------------------

Finally a Kingran post I can rec and agree with. Social harmony may in fact be possible.

Now I must head outside to check for flying pigs.
"Cops are taking 65% of many city budgets, "

Horse manure

"Big cities like Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Detroit, Baltimore, and Houston spent more than 25 percent of their general fund budgets on their police departments, according to a 2017 report by the Center for Popular Democracy.

Chicago and Oakland spent even more, 40 percent. And while New York City’s share was far lower at 9 percent "

https://labornotes.org/2020/06/its-way-past-time-redistribut...

And, despite the spending, how many 'lives' were lost in Chicago? A couple dozen last weekend murdered ? Black on black violence?

Most of that 'spending' was likely contributing to pension plans the city failed to fund for the past 30 years and now doesn't have a choice but to fund them.

Same for the teachers - most of the 'teaching budget' is money for pensions, not for hiring teachers.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Forbes on police spending as percentage of budget

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2017/08/07/how-mu...

t.