Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Even with a less efficient car, a car and its occupants can be driven 10,000 miles for a gasoline cost of approximately $1,600 at current prices.

I find a few problem assumptions here...

(1) It looks to me like you assumed a less efficient car was 20 mpg; many people would be overjoyed if they could get 20 mpg!

(2) You seem to have used $3.20/gallon as the gas price. I live in a state with one of the lowest gas prices and the discount station around the corner from me is $3.40/gallon for regular..

(3) You use 10,000 miles as your baseline. The average car in the United States is driven more than 12,000 miles. And most households have 2 or more cars. So a safer number to use for this would be closer to 25,000 miles.

If we stick with your 20 mpg, but we bump the gas price up to $3.50 (it is expected to peak around $4/gallon later this year) and increase the miles to 25K, we get a household gasoline cost of $4375. Dropping the fuel economy to 15 mpg, the cost increases to nearly $6K/year.

Consider that, before taxes, the median household income is right around $50,000. Assorted taxes will take away about $10K. So gas this year ends up being more than 10% of the budget for a pretty typical household.

Acme
(Not part of a typical household.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.