Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi all,

My state Employment determined I had been misclassified as an independent contractor, when I should have been treated as an employee, thus allowing me to collect benefits (much more to the story, but this is gist).

Since I paid both my % and company's % of SS & Medicare all those years (over a decade, it was only one company) I was going to file SS-8 form (IRS determination) and amend at least three years if it looked like I was going to come out ahead. I have done two of the three years and I am ahead by a few hundred dollars. If I am able to go back further, it would be more worth while (this process is going to take at least a year, I am sure). Does anyone know if there is ever an exception to go back more than the three years? It was not as if I'd known and just didn't get around to it ;) I had no idea that this was the case and by not being able to go back the company "gets away with" not paying taxes and I got stuck with paying them.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.