Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Ever hear of Pascal and Ada and a hundred other programming languages? Forth? Lisp?

Pascal - never used it - I think it's peak in popularity was before my time - I did use Modula 2 which many people consider to be the evolution of Pascal.

Ada - Not my cup of tea - I think it's popular in Department of Defense circles. I haven't used it, but I have certainly heard of it.

Forth - been a long time since I've written anything using it. Isn't a language I find easy to use.

Lisp - use it every few months or so. (technically a dialect of Lisp)

I'm not sure what your point is - but those aren't that unusual of languages... And there are some very successful businesses built on not-widely-known languages - like Epic Systems.

YEah, the dream of Silicon Valley start ups of all sorts is to make it big, have the venture cap companies bought out with a public offering, and execs and early workers sail off into the sunset with multi-millions.

I think that changed 20 years ago - the dream for most of them isn't an IPO - it's to be acquired by Alphabet/Microsoft/Facebook/Apple/SAP/etc.
Which I think is why they said that "the purpose of a company is to get bought out by a bigger company".

There are a few exceptions - like Epic.
But there are so many that appear to exist first to get bought, and second to make money while waiting to be bought. And the truth of the comment is what makes it funny. (And I think alstroemeria was trying to be funny with that quip)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.