No. of Recommendations: 17
Every civilized [society] on earth has a national health program... Doctors are well enough compensated to live at a somewhat higher than standard lifestyle (but their life is more predictable and less stressful because they are generally not held liable for medical malpractice)... Our current "attempt" at a national program is a travesty which serves the purposes of the health insurance companies, rather than our population (or even our hospitals).

Jeff,

I took the liberty of substituting the word "society" for "government" in your original post, for the purpose of making my point, which is this:

To put it simply, we do not have a civilized society.

In my view, a society in which three small groups have been permitted to deny low (or reasonable) cost healthcare to millions of others, is not a civilized society.

The three small groups are as follows:

1. Malpractice lawyers (and the judges who nurture them);
2. Insurance companies (and the politicians who serve them); and
3. Drug companies (and the unregulated nature of their pricing structure).*

The Affordable Healthcare Act does nothing substantive to wrest control of America's healthcare from these three groups.

In other words, low-cost or reasonable-cost healthcare is impossible in the US.

This fact renders our society less than civilized.

*P.S. - Although I have suggested that banks should be run as regulated public utilities, I don't think drug companies should be public utilities.

I think drug companies should be allowed to charge prices high enough to support research and development of new drugs - along with premium pricing for a period of time so as to allow companies to recoup lost R&D expenses.

However, the government healthcare system - as well as any group of any size should be able to negotiate on behalf of its members for volume discounts or other preferred pricing. In addition, neither the government nor drug companies should be able to prevent price competition across borders.

(Canadians often pay less for US drugs than Americans do).

:-o
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.