Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
I've frozen beans before, when I've made a giant batch and had left overs.

I have even used these frozen beans in other meals (soups, chilis) because they were hanging around.

Reading a blog today about saving money, where it's mentioned you should cook beans *TO* freeze, I had a DUH moment.

DUH - I can easily cook a batch TO FREEZE, then have beans on hand. All the time. Without having to buy canned beans ever again.

Jesus, Jorge and Juan - how did this not occur to me before? I've always dealt with leftovers, never taking it this obvious step forward.

I feed a large man, two kids who apparently have hollow legs, and myself (who I must admit is not a shabby eater). I use beans to fill out things all.the.time. Burritos, chili, soup, taco meat, etc. I easily use enough, especially during the winter months, to justify making batches upon batches that go directly to the freezer.

Cripes.

impolite
apparently, you DO learn something new every day
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Once upon a time, I would do that. I don't have the freezer space to do it much, though.

Which blog?

I've been reading "simple dollar" and "get rich slowly" a lot lately.

Ishtar
No. of Recommendations: 1
I've been reading "simple dollar" and "get rich slowly" a lot lately.

A link from a link from a link or some such off of Get Rich Slowly:

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2009/04/who-says-you-need-to-...

You'll have to ignore the religious overtones of some parts of the site, but I've see worse.

impolite
I've been thinking about doing this (cooking a batch of beans and then freezing them). Are there any gotchas I should be aware of? (Like: do they get mushy when defrosted so either undercook them or use them in something mushy - stuff like that?)

TIA,
Frydaze1 <--- has the freezer
I love beans, and I've always done this (I'm a huge fan of "If I'm cooking it, let's cook ten times what I need and FREEZE it too!!!").

I make red beans with ham like this all the time... when we get a spiral ham, I'll chop up the leftovers into the little 1/4 in cubes, and make a giant pot of red beans. Ladle it into the Ziploc tupperware thingys, and go!

We've also had a lot of success with black beans, and I make smaller portion of pinto/refried-ish beans for myself, because I prefer bean and cheese burritos to chicken.

Speaking of chicken, we also do a huge amount of chicken & pork fillings for enchiladas, tacos and/or burritos. We just cook the chicken or pork in the spices for a few hours, shred, and package up to be defrosted and used as filling when we need it.

We'll also do this with our Indian lentil dishes, lentils freeze really nicely. In fact, a lot of Indian food freezes really nicely. Pair with some basmati rice and you're good to go for dinner!

I'll also just make soup... one spiral ham also ended up with about a gallon of split pea & ham soup. I passed on that, as I'm not a split pea fan, but DH said it was delicious. I made some really good black bean soup too, and that worked really well.

GSF
No. of Recommendations: 1
(I'm a huge fan of "If I'm cooking it, let's cook ten times what I need and FREEZE it too!!!").

You sure you're not Greek?

-synchronicity, and please never meet syncspouse, because she doesn't need any more encouragement as it is...
-synchronicity, and please never meet syncspouse, because she doesn't need any more encouragement as it is...

I'd love to meet you and syncspouse... but no, not Greek... just LOVE to eat but not particularly to cook... so the more I get done in a cooking session, the better!