Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Everyone has to decide what works best for them, their lifestyle, their preferences.

I don't find the US News & World Report story particularly well thought out.

Most would not retire to Grand Rapids or St. Louis as both get snow in the winter. Most retirees prefer a warmer climate.

Similarly people say Phoenix and Tuscon are hard to take in summer. Very hot. Most leave town.

Military retirees prefer places with good medical. San Antonio, TX and Pensacola, FL are very popular.

People will tell you that US dollars go further in foreign countries. If you learn the language, understand the culture, and feel safe from crime and kidnapping, etc. Mexico, Costa Rico. I hear that in places like Sri Lanka, you can hire staff to do cooking, housekeeping, and gardening.

Big cities have the advantage of lots of things going on, but often that means congestion and higher living costs. Many prefer college towns. Students will do many jobs for minimum wage or little more and the college brings speakers and concerts to town as well as sports. Some like Columbia, MO or Springfield, MO are within easy drives to St. Louis or Kansas City (for big city shopping or travel, etc).

Some also like Branson for its entertainment opportunities. Low cost of living and still not far from big cities.

If you plan to travel, midwestern locations are centrally located. Indianapolis is not bad. Louisville. Memphis. Atlanta. Airport hubs can make travel easier if you plan to fly. Florida if you plan to cruise.

I'd give high marks to close to family. It can have many advantages. As long as its not too close.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.