Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My ex-employer just sent me a check for my 401K there. It has been about 3 years since I have worked there and they sent a letter that they could distribute funds if the total was under $5000.00.

I don't want to cash the check. I have no idea what to do to get this back as protected retirement money.

I have no current 401K so I have heard the best place I can roll it into is an IRA. I am totally ignorant in this area and need to know what organizations to contact.

Am I going to pay some fees when they accept this?

What do I need to do to get this money back into Tax Deferred status?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.