No. of Recommendations: 0
Exactly, and that is what we do as we use a financial advisor. On this board, however, people routinely get slammed for using an advisor, and one of the reasons is the fee. From my point of view, as long as I have included the fees in my retirement budget, and I have, then it is just another expense line item.

I have not used these calculators. Do they have you plug in anticipated returns? Would not those returns be net of fees? That's how our FP reports it, as verified by me on our accounts.

Recently got slammed on a non TMF board for using a FP instead of just using index funds at Vanguard. Was told over and over again how managed funds don't do as well as indexing. So liking data and wanting to know if I could do better, I checked out last year's return against a similar 60/40 stock bond international/US index portfolio that a calculator on Vanguard suggested. Net of my FP fee, (don't know if Vanguard nets out it's fees or not,) my FP made 3% more than the Vanguard portfolio. And that was with my letting him do the work, and came with a slew of benefits Vanguard does not offer. Vanguard didn't have anything other than "industry average" returns beyond the first year for a couple of the funds they were suggesting, so I stopped at year 1.

Don't get me wrong...not all FPs are alike, and even the good can have bad years. MIL has a terrible one, but though she sees that truth because late FIL signed on with him I think she sees it as disloyal to FIL to change. I don't mind paying for services if it is a good value. HATE to pay for no added value.

So what is the scoop? Why do the fees come into play with these calculations if you just use net returns?

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.