Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Exactly. I think that the underperformance of large caps may be currently driving the simultaneous outperformance of both 5-Star and 1-Star stocks (and it wouldn't surprise me if 2-, 3-, and 4-Star stocks were outperforming, too). Ultimately, it may mean that knowing a stock's market cap class may be more informative than knowing its CAPS Star status, which would be a sad state of affairs, in my opinion.

I think the CAPS cognoscenti will eventually have to consider alternative benchmarks in describing/evaluating the performance of CAPS ratings. There may even be a need for normalizing CAPS ratings based on market cap classification and the performance of that class, but that's a complex step that I wouldn't take unless the data bear it out.

By the way, I also can't wait for dividends to be included. You're right - it will be interesting to see if and how that affects the CAPS ratings. I think such effects would happen indirectly, as it would primarily affect performance calculations, which could very well push some players into or out of All-Star status. In turn, that would affect the star ratings of the stocks those players have picked.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.