No. of Recommendations: 2
Excellent post Jeff!

We're not used to using cabs, but have as needed in our travels..

It reminded me of an incident in Italy, about 2000.. We'd taken the train into Naple I think it was, a little wiry old fellow insisted on helping with our luggage, in the end taking us to his favored Cab, not the one at the head of the waiting line of cabs. Well, I declined, we went on to an idle cab a bit away from the line. As I looked back, the other drivers had gotten upset with the game they were playing and fisticuffs ensued back where the old fellow had meant for us to be... We were outta there, on to our hotel, chatting with the driver he offered a whole day tour, if we wanted, but was a good fellow, but we were able to wander on our own just fine...

Back in Rome, it was amazing, the crowded streets, crazy drivers, but they make it work...

Another trip, in Spain, maybe Barcelona, along the Rambla we were staying.. We had tickets for a high speed train to Bilbao to see the museum, so we went off to dinner, thinking our tickets were in the morning... Got back, realized they were for the Night train that had just left! So, we grabbed a cab, went to the train station to redo the tickets.. Cab dropped us off, left.. Goops, Station was closed for the night! Well, then it was dicey to find a cab that would take us back to our hotel! One came by, but it was out of his district, couldn't do it.. but he came back, but the $20 ride there, cost us $40 to go back, but he did it... Next day we sorted it out, took a slower train into Madrid then back up to Bilbao, made it in time for out museum appointment time... Whew... The core of this misunderstanding was partly our fault forgot reading the ticket right but also, since we don't speak Spanish, the ticket agent was zero help as well. They are adamant, notorious for only using Spanish, but we managed everywhere else OK.. All part of the adventure!

weco
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.