Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8
Excellent post, thanks. I recently moved to the Siesta Key in Florida and the only provider was Frontier, who had previously bought the FIOS business in the area. I was happy because I loved my FIOS in my previous home. Unfortunately I found out that they no longer support "Cable" for new customers, they only sell internet and force you to stream. Only alternative is Dishnet work. Well, I purchased 3 Roku boxes and will get a 4th soon. Overall I really like them, though there are some idiosyncrasies to get used to (pauses and buffering if your Wifi coverage or bandwidth does down). On a side note, I started with ATT-Tv and was a bit annoyed by it and they treated me like a cable customer, this a teaser discount that would go up after a year. I managed to ditch them and go to YouTubeTV - I really like it and recommend it. Enough with the OT details.

I was listening to a recent RBI podcast and David or the guest was reviewing Roku and they pointed out that they have become such a powerful player, that streaming services have to pay the fees to get on their box. For instance, Peacock tried to do it without Roku and they had to come crawling back. Only HBO Max is able to hold out so far.

A nifty feature is that if you run the Roku app on you smartphone, you can have the phone receive audio (and it mutes TV) and thus you can listen on your phone headsets while you spouse has a quiet sleep. This is a killer app for me.

In addition to a carry fee, they also make money on ads, though I can't tell if the ad I am seeing is from Roku or YouTubeTV, but I could tell they were not from the broadcast company because they would break in before the show was going to add and make me miss the last few words.

So Roku is a monster and has not seemed to be hurt by Amazon or Chromecast. So worth considering if there is a dip.

Pete
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.