Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Excellent post, ultimatespinach. You make some great points. While my ultimate goal is to find companies that I can buy stock in and put them on cruise control for many years, such as MIDD, I think that I have an itichier trigger finger on the sell button than some people. This can be a positive and a negative. As you mentioned, it saved me from a lot of the pain that Irwin dished out. Another positive example is FMD. Once it became apparent to me that it might be a while, if ever before FMD would be able to securitize another package of loans, the original reason why I bought the company disappeared and it turned into more or less a bank that issues student loans. It may or may not have been a good value at that point, but I didn't care. I had a huge position that I sold out half of at $20 and the other half at around $15. That looks like a wise move today, but there's nothing saying that the company won't eventually bounce back.

I definitely have sold some companies way too early, like Monsanto when its P/E ratio was a million, grumble, grumble...but this strategy enables me to place the companies that I am most comfortable with in my portfolio. If I miss a few winners, which I absolutely hope that China Fire will be for your and the newsletter's sake, so be it.

Have a great weekend.

Deej
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.