Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband changed jobs in October, 2011. Due to that and an unresponsive 401K system (have to put in requests for changes about 3 week in advance and I miscalculated), we had excess contributions to an HSA ($127.50) and a 401K ($567.32) for 2011.

I started really early on taxes because we are filing financial aid forms for college, so I confirmed these in mid-January and filed the appropriate paperwork with the HSA and 401K entities. However, I have received nothing yet, and probably won't until the last possible moment. In the mean time, several schools want our 2011 tax returns, preferrably by March 1.

Should I go ahead and file what we have and then file an amended return once we get the excess contributions? Won't that raise a red flag with the IRS since the W-2's clearly show that there were excess contributions? Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks for the help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.