Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So sorry if this has already been answered, but I am totally confused. In 2000 I made an excess contribution to a Roth IRA for the year 2000. I withdrew the excess in 2001 prior to the due date for my 2000 return. (There was no gain on the amount, there was a loss. So there is no complication of having to report a gain and paying tax on the gain.)

I filed a form 5329 with my 2000 return. I attached a note to it explaining that no tax or penalty was due because the excess contribution had been removed prior to the due date of that return. I did not put the distribution on line 15a of the 2000 return because the money was withdrawn in 2001.

Now here I am just finishing my return for 2001. I am fairly confident that I do not have to file a form 8606. But do I list the "distribution" on line 15a and attach a note explaining the distribution? That is what I am inclined to do.

Thanks, sorry if this has already been answered . . . if so, just point me to the post, please.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.