No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone here exercise? Love to hear what folks do in general to stay healthy, both mentally and physically.

I am also looking for ideas to exercise, especially at home. Any regular, proactive routine is a challenge for me, but exercise is something I've done on and off.

I know many people say to go outside to run and walk, or go join a gym. I do go out often to walk (and when both time and weather allows, good long walks), but the bulk of my time is spent indoors at home and I want to incorporate things I can do at home. Also sometimes my OCD tendencies kick in, or anxiety increases (I have a problem being outdoors sometimes, or if I don't feel well, I have to get home as soon as possible).

Even if you don't have any ideas for me, just love to hear what people do to move, physically.

Thanks,
Lois Carmen D.

FOR READING REFERENCE, ARTICLES ABOUT EXERCISE AND DEPRESSION.

General article about how exercise can help sufferers of depression.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression

Article with specific recommendations plus excerpt.
May 24, 2013 article
http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/lifestyle/2013/05/24/how-mu...

In summary:

Type of exercise: Aerobic exercise such as running, walking and cycling, works, and seems to work well. Resistance/weight training appears to work just as well as cardio, but fewer studies have looked into it.

Frequency and duration: Best results occur at 45 to 60 minutes a session, 3 to 5 times a week. The difference between 3 and 5 sessions appears to be insignificant as long as your total weekly burn is the same.

Intensity: For aerobic exercise, you should aim to work out at 50 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate—your maximum is about 220 minus your age, according to the American Heart Association.

For resistance training, you should aim for 3 sets of 8 reps for each of a variety of upper and lower body exercises. Each rep should be at 80 percent of the maximum weight you can lift on a single rep.

Number of weeks: You’ll start to see the best sustained effects on your mood at 10 to 12 weeks, but benefits are usually noticeable at 4 weeks.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.