Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Where to report the money from the transaction ?

I exercised a stock option last year.

The option was such that I was able to do a “cash-less” transaction. Buy the stock at the lower option price and sell it immediately at the higher market value.

On the W-2 I received from that employer, in box 14 they reported the “net” amount I received. Even though this wasn't the actual amount I received because taxes were taken out.

However the brokerage house that performed the transaction sent me a 1099-B, which reported the gross proceeds from the sales. Normally 1099-Bs are reported as capital gains, where you pay taxes on the difference between the cost basis and the gross proceeds. However with a cost basis of $0 you get really whacked.

Either I don't have to report it as capital gains? , because in effect I did pay taxes on it. (This makes me nervous as I did receive that 1099-B)


The cost basis is not zero! But I can't figure out how to calculate what it is?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.