Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Do you like them?
Are they any good?

PSU
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Had two. One leaked the first time I used it. The other lasted a couple of weeks before it sprung a leak.

No way to repair expandable hoses that I could find.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

glh
Nothing like a long lasting rubber hose...
Do you like them?
Are they any good?

We've had one a couple of years, wife wanted it.
It is lightweight and works ok.

It gets longer when you turn the water on so you can't stretch it out to its full length without it being under pressure. That is an aggravation.

I use it if I'm not going far, otherwise I lug around 150' of rubber hose.
Nothing like a long lasting rubber hose...

I still have rubber hoses. I would buy an expandable hose for those cold days when you need a hose. A rubber hose gets stiff when cold and can be difficult to wind back up on the holder.

PSU
IMHO, no.
On the subject of hoses -
https://www.eleyhosereels.com

and before you go, this stuff is not cheap or even moderately priced. But the hoses have about half the physical weight of typical rubber hoses.

Out of frustration with a typical hose reel from Home Depot, I got a wall mounted reel from these people. That act changed my mind. I am now in the process of installing 4 post mounted systems at our Community Garden - we live in a 55+ community and there are a bunch of raised box garden plots as one amenity.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

How about three or four times?

The first ones that came out were crap, lasted a few weeks, tops. There was a second generation which was better but still didn’t make it through a whole season. I noticed that they changed the nozzle, which is integrated onto the hose (so you can’t use your own nor change it out). The new ones don’t completely shut off, so when you shut off the faucet the hose continues to drain until empty. This helps preserve the life.

I also got a pressure reducer (RV section at Walmart in brass for about $7, or irrigation section at Home Depot for $4 (plastic version) which helped keep the hose in shape for several years. It’s about 2” long by 1” diameter. We had very high pressure at the last house (80+PSI); the little screw on attachment brings it down to about 30 and the hose can handle that forever. Still have one of them at the new house after another 3 years.

Mrs. Goofy preferred these hoses for watering plants on the deck and in the front (yes, we had two of them) and they were fine. Annoying not to be able to change spray handles, but you can’t have everything. Nice to be done watering and the hose pulls itself back together.

For washing the car or other chores I reverted to a reel hose. Real hose. Oh, I made a pun!
As others have mentioned, the first ones leaked within just a few times used, and repair was not possible.

We bought several more about 3 years ago when the ends were redesigned, and have had no issues. They get a lot of use for watering flowers all around the house, car washing, and power washing. Will never go back to rubber.
For what it is worth, Costco rarely carries junk, and I seem to remember seeing such a hose at the store.

https://www.costco.com/rapid-flo-58-in.-x-100-ft.-compact-ga...

600 psi, 5 year warranty. Not inexpensive.
For what it is worth, Costco rarely carries junk,

In this case, I think they are. From the link, it looks like the ends are made out of aluminum. If you leave them attached to the faucet long enough, they will be hard to remove. I prefer any hose to have solid brass ends. You can find that even with the expandable hoses.

PSU
I need to buy 2 new hoses as well and it looks like Craftsman rubber hose at Ace Hardware is the best price and a decent hose overall. Continental looks like they make a decent hose as well. All of them have some strange reviews where they probably got an inferior product off Amazon. Most common problem seems to be black residue transferring to your hands when used.

Anyone have some good 75ft hose recommendations. I like them to last and the one rubber hose I have has been with me for over 20years and still going just fine.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have several sturdy hoses I got at Costco over a decade ago which have held up remarkably well. I have no idea what the brand is, but everything I get at Costco seems to hold up. Black. Brass fittings. Do not leave residue. I have both 50 and 100 ft lengths.
I have Craftsman rubber hoses that I bought a couple of years ago and leave attached to a timer sprinkler system I leave turned on all summer, front and back yards. A third one is used for car washes, plant watering, etc. Zero problems. Got one through Amazon and two at HD.