Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I moved to Japan in the tax year 2000, but had enough taxable income in the US to max out my IRA. The question is about next year. All my income will be exempt under the Foreign Earned Income Exemption. In no way is it advantageous for me to switch to the Foreign Tax Credit, as I am not liable for Japanese taxes either. (Not bad, eh?) My understanding is that I can therefore not contribute ANYTHING to my Roth IRA. Is this true? Are there any loopholes to this? I have a bank account in the USA that I fund all my investing from. Thanks in advance.
Scott Jolly
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.