Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The 30 most popular locales for expats.

https://edition.thestreet.com/s/countries-most-american-expa...

I few of them I wouldn't go to on a bet. Like China. Others I've thought about. Canada is tricky because one either needs to have a vital skill, or put up a lot of money to pay for your healthcare in their national system.

I seem to recall someone here wanted to go to Ecuador. I believe they even scouted the country.

1poorguy
Print the post Back To Top
#13 - Switzerland

WOW....even folks in Amsterdam think Switzerland is expensive!! Expats there must be extremely wealthy.
It seems like that they include both workers and retirees in the data. I wonder if they also include the military and federal gov employees. I assume that is why some of the countries are ranked higher than others. Most surprising to me was Bangladesh ranked 12th. I was also surprised that places like Costa Rica, Panama, and Belize did not make the list.
I noted the absence of Costa Rica also. I actually had a coworker who retired there. Gulf coast of Costa Rica, so away from the "big city".

And totally agree with you regarding Bangladesh. Who would want to go to Bangladesh if they had a choice? I don't mean to sound mean, but the poverty there is devastating, the corruption is rampant, they have no environmental regs (or at least none that are enforced) so it's very polluted. Plus rising sea levels will eat a lot of that country. It's lose-lose-lose-lose.
I few of them I wouldn't go to on a bet. Like China.

I don't want to live in China either. But I don't think it is as bad as you think it is. Temporary place to make money for expats. My daughter is one of them. And she has lived a normal life after going back, being in quarantine 2 weeks, about a month at home, then their school opened up. She taught online, did summer school and moved to a new school where everything was basically normal. For the last year. If they get a few cases in a location, they contact trace, isolate and lockdown if necessary. They are very good at containing. Granted they let Wuhan get out of control. But once they realized what was going on they went into high gear.

Heather just recently got the Chinese vaccine. No side effects. Also probably not as effective, but she can't leave China for fear of not being able to get back in. She's safe in China.
Lists like this are kind of tricky because there are different reasons for going different place. If you move to Switzerland, there is probably some kind of tax/financial advance for the very wealthy.

On the flip side, if you are moving to Mexico it is probably because you want to live on the cheap.

I don't think I want to move anywhere permanently, but here are some locations I wouldn't mind moving to for a year or two:

Ecuador: I spent a month backpacking there in my misspent youth. Easily enough there to spend a year or two exploring. And cheap.

Spain/Germany: Love both places, and not all that expensive. Jumping off spot to lots of other places.
Trick is getting an EU passport.

Australia: I think this would be cool for a about a year. Haven't looked into the visa issue. Upside is they speak a form of English. Downside: Expensive.

All those seem a bit like long shots at the moment. Plan A is to split time between Seattle and Hawaii. Just have to convince the wife to get on board.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I don't want to live in China either. But I don't think it is as bad as you think it is

???

Trapped, alone and 'desperate to come home.' American siblings barred from leaving China
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/09/14/china-i...

The State Department has warned Americans about China’s growing use of exit bans – stating in a Jan. 3 travel advisory that Chinese authorities have sometimes used exit bans to keep Americans in China for years

China Detains 2 Americans Amid Growing Scrutiny of Foreigners
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/world/asia/china-detains-...
Two Americans who ran an English-language teaching company are being held on charges of organizing illegal border crossings, a Chinese government spokesman said.

The detentions are the latest in a series of prosecutions that add to a growing sense of unease among Americans and other Westerners in China. Among the most prominent of such cases is the ongoing detention of two Canadians on charges of espionage — a move that was made apparently in retaliation for Canada’s arrest of a prominent executive of Huawei, a Chinese technology giant.

-----------

No way would I work (or live) in a country for an extended period of time that has no due process.

Covid scares me a lot less than some government official that decides they don't like something I did or said online.
No way would I work (or live) in a country for an extended period of time that has no due process.

Covid scares me a lot less than some government official that decides they don't like something I did or said online.

Exactly my thinking. No way I would live there. I'm hesitant to visit. I wish Heather all the best, but I think she's nuts to live there. She could be disappeared anytime for any reason.

I would never visit DPRK (even though apparently visitors are shown luxury because the regime thinks they can trick us into believing all the propaganda).

There are some others.
I don't want to live in China either. But I don't think it is as bad as you think it is.

I've been there a couple times. It's is pretty interesting, but it is crowded. The air pollution is horrendous. I did meet a lot of expats from the US that were jazz musicians in Shanghai. They like it quite a bit, and there seemed to be a large appetite for live Jazz. Of course, I don't like Jazz either...

V
I'm glad to see my former home, South Korea, made the list!

TMFEdyboom223