Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have not had to deal with this for awhile. I have a credit card with a July expiration date. A new one came in the mail this week. I have not activated it yet. I use this credit card to automatically pay a number of bills. For example, my auto insurance and cell phone bills are billed automatically to the credit card. I guess I'll need to find a gap in the month where I don't expect any charges. Then go to each website, change my expiration date on file, and then activate my card. If I happen to miss one, will most places reject a payment since the expiration does not now match?

PSU
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have had it go both ways - some let it go. Why not just activate the new card now and change the dates you remember ? (Unless it's a card that has a start and stop date on it - I don't remember seeing one of those lately.)
No. of Recommendations: 3
If I happen to miss one, will most places reject a payment since the expiration does not now match?

Go ahead and activate the card, then go and change the information at the sites that bill that card. You can always look at past statements to jog your memory.

If you forget to change one, you will probably get an email from the company you didn't update to let you know that the charge was rejected because of the date. At least that was the way it happened for me. I went in and changed the information and things rolled on.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Many sites send you a warning that your credit card is expiring. Checking you statements for the last 12 months should pickup any annual charges. It is unusual for auto pay to be processed on a weekend. I choose a weekend that isn't the first weekend of a month and just do it.