Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi,

Anurag attacked the performance of the MDP. That put aside, I wondered what could be the exposure of the MDP to the world.

This is a hyperlink to a message written by Ron Gross yesterday:

http://newsletters.fool.com/30/coverage/extras/2012/05/01/sp...

Here is an excerpt from that message (emphasis mine):

Associate Advisor Charly Travers will continue to lead MDP's international strategy. I've asked Charly to focus primarily on multinational companies such as Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) that derive revenue from all over the globe. I expect Charly will occasionally sprinkle in pure-play international investments such as Telkom Indonesia (NYSE: TLK) and Bladex (NYSE: BLX), but I think focusing our international allocation on global companies will give us the exposure we desire along with the proper risk/reward balance.

To be more opposed to GG's standing about world investing, Gross would have to focus on U.S. companies without any significant revenue from outside the U.S.

When I look at the current positions of the MDP on "multinational companies", I see MSFT, AAPL, GOOG, etc. If I want some hyped stocks, do I really need MDP?

When I look at the pure-play international stocks Gross let Travers "occasionnally sprinkle", I see only BLX and TLK. By the way, I subscribed to MDP (*) from their beginning up to March 2010 (then I switched to SpOps), and when I left MDP had more international positions than now (including BLX and TLK). Do I really want to replace GG with a service decreasing its international exposure?

Sorry, but I'm not impressed at all by the choice of MDP as a parting gift from GG and I'll certainly unsubscribe. Actually, even if MDP was free for ever, I would not be interested. I'll look forward to Nate's portfolio, and I'm sure that by himself he'll provide more international stuff than all the MDP staff put together.

Saarkhx
long BLX and TLK
no position on AAPL, GOOG, MSFT

(*) At the time I saw MDP as an opportunity to get the equivalent of BBN from other TMF newsletters. I was wrong...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.