No. of Recommendations: 5
I watched a few 'Extreme Cheapskates' episodes (TLC on cable), looking to get a few ideas for being frugal. I didn't like the show.

Saw a lot of people getting things free by sponging off of others. And some other frugal practices seemed dangerous or gross to me. I could see if people were in desperate economic situations--but the show made it clear that they were not. No it was like a obsession to live as cheap as possible.

Think this show gives frugality a bad name--I've lived well below my means for past 20 years and never resorted to such measures.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
I think frugality can be carried to an extreme. Making practical choices to try to make good use of your resources is one thing, but in the extreme you offend people and mostly make them think you are cheap rather than frugal.

So it makes sense to consider the public relations value of frugality. Sometimes the negative image projected is more costly than the savings.

An aunt used to relate the story of her friend who wanted to go to a given restaurant because she had a coupon. But she wanted my aunt to pay full price so she could get a free entree with her coupon.

I don't think such people have many friends.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Think this show gives frugality a bad name--I've lived well below my means for past 20 years and never resorted to such measures.

I watched for the same reasons you did. However, these people are borderline psychotic. I find it unlikely many of their activities even save any money. They are just compulsive in bizarre ways.