Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Faces on my PMG5

After the scan, wow. Just, wow.

In my iPhoto library, I have keywords for my wife and for each of my two sons, but I never bothered to set up a keyword for myself. So, I selected a photo of myself, and iPhoto proceeded to go through the entire library and find a lot of photos with me in them. Of the photos it selected, I'd guess about 99% correctly identified me, though a small handful had others -- my father, my wife's uncle, and some random guys in crowds. iPhoto presents you a set of candidate photos, and although it says to click on each photo to verify that it has identified the correct face, it's easier to click-drag to select all photos and then click individual photos to select misidentified faces.

You have to go through the verification process multiple times, as iPhoto goes through several scanning iterations to try to find faces in more and more difficult photos. I assume iPhoto refines its search algorithm with each iteration. While the positive identification works remarkably well and the process of eliminating misidentification has not, so far, been too difficult, I have no way of knowing how many photos of a given face iPhoto failed to identify, i.e. if I had a thousand pictures including myself and if iPhoto found only 900 of them.

I have yet to try some more difficult faces, e.g. my two sons. Though separated by a few years, they look remarkably alike to strangers, especially when comparing photos at the same ages, e.g. my older son at 3 years and my younger son at 3 years.

-awlabrador
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.