No. of Recommendations: 0
Facts? Since when have facts made a difference to conservatives? And that was a major point of the Romney campaign.

Just about the only reason I'm glad Romney lost is that had he won, it'd have set a horrible precedent: that you can win an election by lying you a$$ off. I'm not talking about the usual political lies that all candidates engage in. I'm talking about switching your position, sometimes twice in one day, telling whoppers... and when you get caught, repeating them more loudly.

Frank Rich captured my feelings on this well:

http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/gop-denial-2012-11/

The American weakness that Romney both apotheosized and exploited in achieving this feat—our post-fact syndrome where anyone on the public stage can make up anything and usually get away with it—won’t disappear with him. A slicker liar could have won, and still might.

All politicians lie, and some of them, as Bob Kerrey famously said of Bill Clinton in 1996, are “unusually good” at it. Every campaign (certainly including Obama’s) puts up ads that stretch or obliterate the truth. But Romney’s record was exceptional by any standard. The blogger Steve Benen, who meticulously curated and documented Mitt’s false statements during 2012, clocked a total of 917 as Election Day arrived. Those lies, which reached a crescendo with the last-ditch ads accusing a bailed-out Chrysler of planning to ship American jobs to China, are not to be confused with the Romney flip-flops. The Etch-A-Sketches were a phenomenon of their own; if the left and right agreed about anything this year, it was that trying to pin down where Mitt “really” stood on any subject was a fool’s errand... Yet some 57 million Americans took him seriously enough to drag themselves to the polls and vote for a duplicitous cipher.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.