Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We went to a college financial aid seminar last night, and something that was mentioned confused me, and I wanted to see if anyone here can confirm it. The speaker said that the numbers on the CSS Profile must match the numbers on the FAFSA. I wondered how that could be possible since the numbers are a snapshot in time, and I'm filling out the Profile now with estimates on the rest of 2008, and will be filling out the FAFSA in early January.

When I do the FAFSA, am I using my 2007 taxes or my 2008 taxes, which will be an estimate in order to meet their deadline?

The speaker said that if the numbers don't match, the FAFSA will get kicked back. I did ask some questions on this, and the message was clear.

Anyone here have any experience with this one?
Print the post Back To Top
I always wait to fill out my FAFSA until after I have my taxes done. That way the income portion will match my 1040. Which deadline are you referring to? One imposed by the college?
Just checked due dates for my two schools of interest.

April 1 for private college and March 1 for state University. So from my perspective, I will have my taxes done by March 1.
April 1 for private college and March 1 for state University. So from my perspective, I will have my taxes done by March 1.

This must be for returning students. I have to get the CSS Profile in by December 1 for the schools that want it. And 6 of DD's schools want the completed FAFSA in Feb with the earliest being on Feb 1 and the latest on Feb 15. I won't even have all my official info by those dates. I've got 2 schools that have a March FAFSA deadline.

I will only be able to have tax estimates done by those dates, though they should be pretty close.
I may be way off base on this, but I think it would depend on the school. I don't think the FAFSA info is sent on to the CSS folks. I can see why the finaid at a particular school might expect them to match up. You might want to talk to the fin aid people where you plan to attend. I filled the forms out at different times so I am sure my info probably didn't match either. I would really ask around. When I went to a finaid seminar at DD's high school it was given by the FinAid officer from a local private university, and he made clear on certain issues he was speaking only for that school. Although he thought most other schools worked in a similar fashion, he said to contact the school to which the student was applying if you had a question about something he said. DD applied to a dozen private colleges.

Molly