Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 46
Wendy Davis Hit With TX Voter ID Law, Forced To Sign Affidavit To Vote

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2013/10/29/wendy-davis-vote-af...

Way to publicize the war on women, asshats.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Way to publicize the war on women, asshats

What? you mean to say not one male in the whole state of Texas had to do the same? Ooh, the shame of it all...the Texas war on women.
No. of Recommendations: 50
What? you mean to say not one male in the whole state of Texas had to do the same? Ooh, the shame of it all...the Texas war on women

Only those men who married and now have a different last name- who are now being asked to prove that their middle name is their real middle name and not simply their former last name.

Yup- THOSE men are having a tough time to.
No. of Recommendations: 2
What? you mean to say not one male in the whole state of Texas had to do the same? Ooh, the shame of it all...the Texas war on women

Only those men who married and now have a different last name- who are now being asked to prove that their middle name is their real middle name and not simply their former last name.

Yes, the horror of being victimized because of descriptions in a name...why, why...I remember how terrible I felt when I had to provide added information because my passport included my middle name and my driver's license did not. Yes, I too was a victim of the war on women. I am so thankful I was not thrown in a jail cell because of it and forced to hire Lawyers to straighten out the mess...
No. of Recommendations: 1
A middle name screwup is a a middle name screwup. Doesn't matter if you change your name because you made your maiden name your middle name, or because you put an initial on one form and full name on another...

You realize every post that buffy overshoots takes legitimacy away from the left in other arguments, don't you?
No. of Recommendations: 19
Yes, the horror of being victimized because of descriptions in a name...why, why...I remember how terrible I felt when I had to provide added information because my passport included my middle name and my driver's license did not. Yes, I too was a victim of the war on women. I am so thankful I was not thrown in a jail cell because of it and forced to hire Lawyers to straighten out the mess...

There are going to be plenty of women who have voted in the past, and see no reason why their documentation should not continue to be adequate... who will show up to vote and be turned away.... because the middle name on record is her given middle name, "Sue", not her maiden name "Smith".

Of course many of the more educated, proactive women who have read about the problem, and who don't have to worry about taking off work to go straighten out the documentation.... will make the switch.

And there will be plenty of women who fail to change their documentation- and they will be unable to vote.

At least, that's the Republican plan.

Notice.. that this is an inconvenience being placed upon women....

Hence... "War on Women".
There are going to be plenty of women who have voted in the past, and see no reason why their documentation should not continue to be adequate... who will show up to vote and be turned away

I missed that part of the story when someone went to vote and was not able to vote.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Notice the consistency of the rightie response to Republican vote suppression schemes:

1. If they can't take off work and take the bus five miles to get a voter ID, there's something wrong with THEM.

2. If they can't produce a birth certificate to prove who they are, even if they were born back in the woods seventy years ago and no birth certificate was issued... there's something wrong with THEM.

3. If they can't take the time to straighten out whether their middle name is "Sue" rather than "Smith", there's something wrong with THEM (and there are plenty of men who similarly struggle with disallowed because of their middle names)

4. If they can't stand on one foot and yodel Pachelbel's "Canon in D", there's something wrong with THEM.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I missed that part of the story when someone went to vote and was not able to vote.

That's the Republican plan for the next election in Texas. We will all have to see how it turns out.

too, you idiot.... too
Question:

Why is it that every single vote suppression scheme currently being hatched by Republicans in this country.... disproportionately affects Democratic voters?

Do you think Texas would launch its war on people who changed their last names if women did not display a 69% disapproval rating of Republicans?

Regardless of what you say......... my answer is "I didn't think so, either."
How's this for legitimacy. Voter ID laws are voter suppression laws.
Voter ID laws are voter suppression laws.

Voter ID laws are the new and improved Poll Taxes.
How's this for legitimacy. Voter ID laws are voter suppression laws.

About as legitimate as: Lack of Voter ID laws are an endorsement for voter fraud.
That's the Republican plan for the next election in Texas. We will all have to see how it turns out.

Oh so you are saying that there is no story in this thread about actual voter suppression, but that you predict that the Republican party, which you spend every day disparaging, might suppress the vote in Texas someday?

Good stuff.
No. of Recommendations: 3
About as legitimate as: Lack of Voter ID laws are an endorsement for voter fraud.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/us/politics/judge-in-landm...

.......But there was Richard A. Posner, one of the most distinguished judges in the land and a member of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, saying he was mistaken in one of the most contentious issues in American politics and jurisprudence: laws that require people to show identification before they can vote.

One of the landmark cases in which such requirements were affirmed, Crawford v. Marion County Election Board, was decided at the Seventh Circuit in an opinion written by Judge Posner in 2007 and upheld by the Supreme Court in 2008.

In a new book, “Reflections on Judging,” Judge Posner, a prolific author who also teaches at the University of Chicago Law School, said, “I plead guilty to having written the majority opinion” in the case. He noted that the Indiana law in the Crawford case is “a type of law now widely regarded as a means of voter suppression rather than of fraud prevention.”

Judge Posner, who was appointed by President Ronald Reagan in 1981, extended his remarks in a video interview with The Huffington Post on Friday.

Asked whether the court had gotten its ruling wrong, Judge Posner responded: “Yes. Absolutely.”
too, you idiot.... too

Wow, Bill.

Seriously, wow.
Oh so you are saying that there is no story in this thread about actual voter suppression, but that you predict that the Republican party, which you spend every day disparaging, might suppress the vote in Texas someday?

That is not what I am saying.

They are currently initiating a voter registration scheme that is having an impact RIGHT NOW on who can and cannot register to vote. I know several women in Texas who have already been turned away, who have previously voted without a problem, and who now have to take a lot of time to straighten out the mess.

If this Republican created fiction of "protecting the integrity of the vote" is not straightened out by the next election, many women will not be allowed to vote, who previously had no problem- married women whose middle names are their maiden names.

There is no "might suppress" about it. Republicans in Texas are currently engaged in a scheme to disallow the votes of tens of thousands of women.. and the proof of this assertion is found in the women who have already tested the system by seeing whether or not they currently possess the proper documentation.
Wow, Bill.

Seriously, wow.

Scroll back and see who that comment is addressed to.

;-)

... a note to myself.
"Hence... "War on Women".
"

Bill is such hawk calling for a war on women!
Bill is such hawk calling for a war on women!

You guys have already declared it and are prosecuting it to the best of your ability.

We're just naming it what it is.
Here's a hint for the future, Anniesdad, don't present as a foundation of a point you would like to make, a quote taken out of context which the author has penned an article disavowing the intent.

It's just not right to do that, even on a rinky-dinky board like this.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115363/richard-posner-i-d...

I Did Not 'Recant' on Voter ID Laws

BY RICHARD A. POSNER

To my considerable surprise, one sentence—I should have thought it entirely innocuous—in the book has received unusual attention in the media and blogs, much of it critical. The sentence runs from the bottom of page 84 to the top of page 85, in a chapter entitled “The Challenge of Complexity.” The sentence reads in its entirety: “I plead guilty to having written the majority opinion (affirmed by the Supreme Court) upholding Indiana’s requirement that prospective voters prove their identity with a photo ID—a type of law now widely regarded as a means of voter suppression rather than of fraud prevention.” (The footnote provides the name and citation of the opinion: Crawford v. Marion County Election Board, 472 F.3d 949 (7th Cir. 2007), affirmed, 553 U.S. 181 (2008).)

To understand the sentence in context, one must read the portion of the first sentence of the paragraph in which it appears. I say that “the Supreme Court and the lower federal courts have managed to enmesh themselves deeply in the electoral process without understanding it sufficiently well to be able to gauge the consequences of decisions.” I did not say that my decision, and the Supreme Court’s decision affirming it (written, be it noted, by the notably liberal Justice Stevens), were wrong, only that, in common with many other judges, I could not be confident that it was right, since I am one of the judges who doesn’t understand the electoral process sufficiently well to be able to gauge the consequences of decisions dealing with that process. I may well have been wrong in Crawford, because laws similar (I do not say identical) to Indiana’s represent a “type of law now widely regarded as a means of voter suppression rather than of fraud prevention” (emphasis added)—“now” referring to the fact there has been a flurry of such laws since 2007, when my opinion in the Crawford case was issued, and they have been sharply criticized.
"You guys have already declared it and are prosecuting it to the best of your ability.

We're just naming it what it is.
"

Bill the king of MUS. This is more of your insanity just like calling teaparty members terrorists.
.. a note to myself.

Ah I see, my apologies.

I scrolled up, but not far enough. Someone else was quoting you.
.. a note to myself.

Ah I see, my apologies.

No apologies needed.

That Bill Z guy really needs to be watched!

It is not a coincidence that these laws tend to most burden four types of voters: students, the poor, married women, and the elderly.

It is silly for rightwingnuts here to pretend the purpose of these laws is not the suppression of Democratic voters. Several Republican state officials have admitted it.
"That Bill Z guy really needs to be watched!"

A new hobby: self-stalking?

Ken
A new hobby: self-stalking?

I looked in the mirror and said:

"Come on out with your hands up, or I'm comin' in after you!"

one of my favorite lines from a song by a little known bluegrass/folk/country singer who lives in Colorado- Chuck Pyle

From "Keep It Simple" by Chuck Pyle
Good old sp, picking fly sh!t of a mirror again.
awesome reply. worthy of an award.
And there will be plenty of women who fail to change their documentation- and they will be unable to vote.

At least, that's the Republican plan.

Notice.. that this is an inconvenience being placed upon women....

Hence... "War on Women".

No, on second thought I believe it was racial profiling. I was singled out because I am a fair hair blue eyed caucasian.

Hmm, now what else can I come up with the lib war on Republicans with their cliches to make the GOP appear to be BAD for women and minorities?
Voter ID laws are the new and improved Poll Taxes.

Easily fixed by mandating the use of a US National Identity Card. No discrimination, no problems. No US National Identity Card = no vote in any election.
Kudos to Judge Posner for admitting an error. It is especially good to hear from such a conservative judge.

Wessex
Back in 1980 while in college, I tried to vote for President, and the local crew manning the voting booth found some hokey reason to prevent me, a young male college student, from voting.

It happens to guys too.
" If they can't stand on one foot and yodel Pachelbel's "Canon in D", there's something wrong with THEM."

How about yodelling "Hocus Pocus" by Focus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDW9b_ejfI
"They are currently initiating a voter registration scheme that is having an impact RIGHT NOW on who can and cannot register to vote. I know several women in Texas who have already been turned away, who have previously voted without a problem, and who now have to take a lot of time to straighten out the mess."

Things change. Just like we're being told why its OK for the President to have said no one will be forced to change their health insurance, even though that's turning out to be a lie. "Things change all the time" (paraphrasing) I was told in these very forums.
Typical lawyer double-speak.
" If they can't stand on one foot and yodel Pachelbel's "Canon in D", there's something wrong with THEM."

That was truly worthy of a rec!

That was truly worthy of a rec!

Hard to believe that was 40 years ago !
No. of Recommendations: 58
Lack of Voter ID laws are an endorsement for voter fraud.

What fraud? 18 instances of voter fraud have been confirmed in Texas since 2002.

18. Boy, that's the way to sway some elections in which *millions* have voted. Everyone knows it's a virtually non-existent problem. The only purpose for these new voter ID laws is vote suppression. Period.

There were over 800 gun-related homicides in Texas in just one year, yet calls for things like closing the "gun show loophole" are met with howls of protest about how our rights are being trampled.

As for the war on women? Yeah, that too:

117th District Court Judge Sandra Watts was flagged for possible voter fraud because her driver’s license lists her maiden name as her middle name, while her voter registration form has her real middle name. This was the first time she has ever had a problem voting in 49 years. “What I have used for voter registration and for identification for the last 52 years was not sufficient yesterday when I went to vote,” she said.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/10/23/2821651/texas-ju...

Call 'em whatever you want, but voter ID laws are voter suppression. Anyone paying attention couldn't honestly say otherwise.

Speck
"That was truly worthy of a rec!"

Jan Akkerman is one heck of a guitarist.

Voter ID laws are voter verification laws so that, you know, only U.S. citizens vote. Once per election.
In NY all you have to do is go to the poll and say you are so and so, no ID. How can one "prove" anything, when no proof is required to begin with?

What is to keep someone (even with the party itself) from casting a bunch of ballots in the names of people who did not show up?

Why don't voting machines have to print out a receipt to me about how I voted? All it says it that it registred?

How do I prove my vote was misread or intentionally miscounted, if I have no receipt?

Sure it's not easy to prove voter fraud if there are no available means to prove it.
As there are mostly no restrictions at most voting booths, I am surprized that any fraudulent voting has ever been caught.
Yeah, who is he to try to explain what his own words meant?
Recommendations: 0

As there are mostly no restrictions at most voting booths, I am surprized that any fraudulent voting has ever been caught. ____________________________

You can keep stating the obvious and you should

But the libs out here, truly believe that if you build a system that is totally without the ability to verify anything, that if you can not verify there is a problem, it is proof there is not a problem.

Until you can prove that there is a problem and do so without any tools, and know that all circumstantial evidence in your favor will be shown as proof you are either a racist, sexist or terrorist, the only voting problem is people being intimidated is some fantasy world these folks actually seem to dwell.
As there are mostly no restrictions at most voting booths, I am surprized that any fraudulent voting has ever been caught. ____________________________

You can keep stating the obvious and you should

Stating the obvious:

"We have little proof at all, but we just know, we JUST KNOW that there is more, even though we can't find it.
jerryab2 says

Easily fixed by mandating the use of a US National Identity Card. No discrimination, no problems. No US National Identity Card = no vote in any election.

Fine with me as long as it's free, easy to obtain, and accepted nationwide for all identification purposes.
SP says

As there are mostly no restrictions at most voting booths, I am surprized that any fraudulent voting has ever been caught.

Yet you are morally certain that it is massive.
Speck,

You and honesty don't have even a passing acquaintance. If you did, you would HONESTLY point out that because we have this thing called a SECRET BALLOT, it is virtually impossible to sustain a claim of fraud once a ballot is cast. So, looking at the available records, all the votes cast look like they were cast by the right person, regardless of who actually cast them. I would like to believe that you're smart enough to know that.

If so, it seems that even the lowest hurdle of honesty is so far above you that you can't even see it.

The only thing being suppressed is the truth - by people like you.
How can you quote me and then put words in my mouth?
Voter ID laws are voter verification laws so that, you know, only U.S. citizens vote. Once per election.

Yeah. Absolutely. Just because you have a valid driver license or you have used these identifications for over 40 or 50 years or you are a judge doesn't mean you cannot be an alien or trying to vote more than once.

Be happy we are so unlike Taliban and we even allowed you inside a polling booth and let you live to complain about our laws.

Just don't be lazy ass, go get your name fixed. Before that can you pass me the Beer and fix the dinner first?

BTW, we need to pass a law that prohibits woman from changing their names for the purpose of voting. This is a sheer waste of tax-payer funded services that benefits Democrats and woman! That's double discrimination against GOP men.

Fine with me as long as it's free, easy to obtain, and accepted nationwide for all identification purposes.

That is the concept behind it. Nationwide, universal, AND independently verifiable using a stored photo displayed independently of the card. A picture on the card (same as the one stored in the database) is more for being able to see who it belongs to than for actual ID purposes (such as when it is dropped or lost and you don't know to whom it belongs because you do not know or recognize the name, etc).
SP says

How can you quote me and then put words in my mouth?

So, you're not morally certain there's massive election fraud?
I think it happens. Any time it does it dilutes our privilege to vote.
SP says

I think it happens. Any time it does it dilutes our privilege to vote.

You think it happens, without any evidence. And without any evidence, you support "voter ID" measures that definitely dilute our right* to vote. You need to rethink that position, because it doesn't make sense.

*It's a right, not a privilege.
Voting is a privilege in the United States

I don't think that anyone should lose their privelege to vote in pursuit of voter ID laws.

There have been no reports, including the one in this thread, that anyone has lost their privilege because of voter ID.