Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Failing to buckle up is natural selection in action.

I have been in the race car design business for a few decades, so I have done a fair amount of research on human impact tolerance. If you don't want to get creeped out, skip to anything else now.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
During my time in Indycar, we have lost 8 drivers, and 3 had profoundly life altering injuries. Only two of those impacts could have been made survivable by changing the car. Those car changes have since been made. Only 3 of the rest could have been made survivable by changing the race track. Only some of those track changes have been made. The others were not survivable by any means. The price of man in motion is the occasional collision.

I will spare you the description of how I learned the following.

Brains are most vulnerable to damage from rotary acceleration in the roll (ears up/down) direction. That is why the most common knockout punch in boxing is an upper cut to the side of the head.

If your car does not have side curtain air bags for all rows, today is your day to start car shopping.

Also, watching hundreds of dash cam videos has made me a much safer driver. Almost every collision is avoidable if you know all of the early warning signs to watch for, and if you act soon enough.

Neil
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.