Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Fairly young family.

SWR of 5.4%

Yes, it's high BUT there's 2 things I feel are relevant:

1.)18% of the monthly spending is total fluff (upscale travel, etc) that is nice to do, we're used to doing it - - but if needed it's easier to cut that out, versus cutting out groceries.

2.)This sounds weird, but it is what it is.

NOT counted in my nest-egg: 15 years living expenses, in cash, is parked abroad. 75% of it is in cash in banks. 25% of that is in a rental property (pre-covid, rented 45 weeks per year) that my family can living in with room to spare if need arises. These funds were, and are, 100% secure from being taxed in America which is a big reason why said funds are gone abroad. Back in the mid 2000s I was in the highest tax brackets unlike now when I am just a regular Joe in shorts and a baggy t shirt most days :)

So I know the 5.4% is very high. But if needed it can be cut down with minimal heartache and also, that 15 year stash is always in back of my mind. Technically, if I counted it in my nest-egg then my SWR goes to 3%. I just prefer somewhat pretending it's not there.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.