Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I imagine SP will take great pride in humans doing their best to drive a species to extinction. This type of net hunting is very new and will likely bring them to extinction very quickly.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/11/pictures/121...

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
<< I imagine SP will take great pride in humans doing their best to drive a species to extinction. This type of net hunting is very new and will likely bring them to extinction very quickly.>>

The opinions of intercst and western liberals might have some relevance if we were still in an era of white imperialism.

But we aren't. If the Indian subsistance class wants to eat the wildlife in their territory, it is their business, not mine, not intercst's and not that or western liberals and environmentalists.

Seattle Pioneer
A good exmaple of how I use the net...

intercst's article made me curious about wher ein India falcons were being slaughtered. In Nagaland in extreme northeast India. These people are related to Burmese rather than any ancestral Indians. Which makes me wonder if there's a history of eating carnivorous birds in Burma, or any people anywhere doing so, what is the history of this area as part of India, more about the ancient Naga tribes, are these people basically Chinese or Southeast Asian or what, what are their native foods, rites/religion(s), how about heir schools--is anything unusual taught at their universities, do they identify as Indians first or Naganese (and is that the right word), and on & on... the environmental issue takes a back seat to the anthropological, historical, cultural issues for me, although it is also interesting. And eating carnivores...they tend to taste terrible except for those in the water (fish, crustaceans). Eating a falcon--is that much better than eating a vulture <ew>? I could spend days on all this...
No. of Recommendations: 2
"And eating carnivores...they tend to taste terrible except for those in the water (fish, crustaceans). Eating a falcon--is that much better than eating a vulture <ew>? I could spend days on all this." - alstromeria

---------------------

Probably has more to do with poverty and lack of protein in the diet. People exploiting an easy and ready source of protein which makes itself available in the area a couple of times a year as the birds migrate through their area.

Just goes to show how many poor people there are in the world. On one Andrew Zimmern Bizzare Foods episode they went in this cave and caught these scrawny bats to eat. There was almost no meat on them yet the native people fried them up and ate them. It's like eating mice with wings. Zimmern said "that's some good bat!"

If you're hungry enough you'll eat anything. During the Potato Famine in Ireland people ate grass. I read that their lips and teeth were stained green.

People do what they got to do to survive. Like my momma used to say "you just got to live in this world kiddo!"

Art