Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi, and welcome to the Portfolio Editing portion of the FAQ for the My Portfolio feature. If you are having trouble using My Portfolio, please read the questions and answers below. There's a good chance you'll find the answer there (OK, maybe not a good chance, but a chance anyway).

If you don't find the answers you're looking for, or to report a malfunction or other problem, just click on the Post New link above, type a brief description of your question in the Subject box, and type the full question in the large text box below it. (Do not click on the Post Reply link, or post in all caps, as this annoys the semi-friendly My Portfolio Experts who are at this very moment waiting to help.) After you type your question, click the Preview Message button, and if everything looks OK, click on “Yes, Submit Message” to post your question. You can post your notes of gushing praise using this same method, too!

Creating and editing portfolios

How do I get started?
Click on “New Portfolio” and follow the instructions. First, you enter a name for your portfolio. The “Cash Position Option” allows you to have cash in your portfolio. “No cash position” is the default option. Under “No cash position” you will not have a cash balance as part of your portfolio. Select “Cash position” if you want cash to be part of you portfolio. When you select “Cash position”, You will need to enter your cash amount. Click “Next”

Next, you enter a list of ticker symbols for your stocks or mutual funds in the “Add Positions” box. (Don't know the ticker? Click on the “Symbol lookup” link!) For example, to track your Foolish Four portfolio, which has Caterpillar, International Paper, JP Morgan, and 3M, you could type “Foolish Four” in the “Enter Portfolio Name” box. You would then type “CAT, IP, JPM, MMM” in the “Add Positions” box.

When you click on “Update”, you'll see a row of blank boxes for each ticker you entered. Fill in the numbers, and change the drop-down “Long” to “Short” if that's appropriate. If you want to enter starting information such as number of shares, purchase date, purchase price and commission, you'll be able to track the value of your portfolio, compare your returns to the S&P 500 index, and much more. For the most accurate results, you'll want to look up the dates you bought your stocks, the number of shares, the price you paid, and the commissions so you can enter this information. If you don't have these details or don't want to enter it all, you can just enter the number of shares you own for each stock and leave everything else blank.

If you need more rows (to enter multiple purchases of a stock, or to add some stocks you forgot to list), enter the tickers into the “Add ticker symbols” box and click on the “Update” button.

Did you enter a ticker that you didn't want in this portfolio? Check the “Delete Position” box. After your portfolio is created, you will be able to add notes to each position by using the “Edit Portfolio” option.

When you have entered all your data, click on the “Finish” button.

Can I enter more than one portfolio?
Sure! You can have multiple portfolios, and we'll charge you the same price for each additional portfolio as we charge you for the first one ($0.00). Just repeat the steps above, starting by clicking on “New Portfolio”. Once you've entered your portfolios, you can view them by selecting one in the “Choose another portfolio:” drop-down list.

How do I enter my “Buy” or “Short” information?
While you're viewing the portfolio, click on “Buy/Sell” link (if you're viewing “All Portfolios”, click on the name of the portfolio you want to change first). Click on the “Add a position” link. Enter the ticker(s) into the “Add ticker symbols” box and click on “Update”. You can now enter your position information.

How do I enter a purchase of more shares of a stock I am already holding?
While you are viewing the portfolio, click on “Buy/Sell” (if you're viewing “All Portfolios”, click on the name of the portfolio you want to change first.) Now select the ticker you wish purchase by clicking on the plus (+). Enter your purchase information and submit.

How do I enter my “Sell” information?
While you're viewing the portfolio, click on “Buy/Sell” (if you're viewing the “Summary of All Portfolios”, click on the name of the portfolio you want to change first or you can use the drop down box on the edit screen to select the portfolio). You are now looking at the “Buy/Sell” page. Click on the plus sign next to the position you wish to sell. Enter your sell information and click on the “Enter” button.

Note: If you have multiple lots that you want to sell, you will need to sell each lot individually.

How do I change, add a note, or delete stock transactions in a portfolio?
While you're viewing the portfolio, click on “Edit Portfolio” (if you're viewing “All Portfolios”, click on the name of the portfolio you want to change first).

All of your current transactions are now available for you to make changes. Along the right hand side, there are check boxes for you to delete transactions. Enter your changes and click on the “Finish” button. If you are deleting transactions, be sure to verify the check boxes BEFORE you submit as you will not be asked to confirm your changes.

I typed the wrong ticker symbol. How do I change it?
You will need to delete the transaction (See: How do I change or delete stock transactions?) and renter the transaction correctly.

What is Cash Tracking?
If you have decided to include a cash position in your portfolio, you can track your cash balance from your investment activities. All buy/sell information must be entered on the “Buy/Sell” screen to be reflected in your cash balance. Any purchase information entered on the “Edit Portfolio” screen will not be reflected in your cash balance.

How do I change my cash balance amount?
Select “Buy/Sell”. Click on the plus (“+”) next to “Cash”. You can now enter a deposit or a withdrawal to adjust your cash balance. Enter the information and click on “Enter”.

How do I turn on the Cash Tracking?
Select “Edit Portfolio”. Under “Select Currency Options” select either “Cash Position”. If you select “Cash Position” then the screen will refresh and a cash balance box will be available directly below your securities list. Enter the correct amount (if applicable) and click on “Finish”.

How do I turn off the Cash Tracking?
At this time, you will need to recreate your portfolio if you no longer want to track cash.

What do I do when a stock splits?
Click on “Edit Portfolio”. On the same line as the stock, modify the number of shares and cost basis for the split. Click on “Update”.

What if a split results in a fractional share?
If you have 33 shares of a stock and it splits 3:2, you'll end up 49.5 shares. Most likely, you'll get cash instead of the fractional share, and end up with 49 shares and some cash, say $13.20 for example. After the split process has been completed, which will result in 49.5 shares, then sell 0.5 shares for $26.40/share and $0 commission (a total of $13.20). Adjust the numbers for your particular circumstances, of course.

How do I enter cash dividends (received or paid), interest received, deposits/withdrawals and other miscellaneous expenses?
If you are maintaining a cash balance, select the “Edit Portfolio” screen. You can now adjust your cash balance to reflect the changes to your cash.

What about my dividend reinvestment plan?
At this time, we are no longer supporting DRIP investing. If you are tracking cash, you can enter the dividend amount into your cash balance. Then you should purchase the additional shares.

How do I track an index in my portfolio?
Use one of the following ticker symbols:
$INDU     Dow Jones Industrial Average
$TRAN Dow Jones Transportation Index
$UTIL Dow Jones Utilities Index
$IIX.X Inter@ctive Week Internet Index
XMI Amex Major Market Index
QXV Nasdaq 100 Trust Index
$COMPX Nasdaq Composite Index
$IUX Russell 2000 Stock Price Index
$RUT.X Russell 2000 Stock Price Index
$SPX.X S&P 500 Index
$SOX.X Semiconductor Sector Index
$WSX.X Wilshire Smallcap Index
$MFF.X Fool50

How do I rename a portfolio?
While you're viewing the portfolio, click on “Edit Portfolio”. Enter the new name in the “Change Portfolio Name” box and click on “Finish”.

How do I delete a portfolio?
While you're viewing the portfolio, click on “Edit Portfolio” and choose “Delete” at the bottom. When the “Alert” message appears, click “OK”.

Updated 3/11/02
TMF Dawn
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.