Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

By now, you've all perhaps seen Iron Man staring Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark...

What? You haven't? Please depart from your computer -- take a break, and go see it ASAP, it's really quite good :o)

So, besides that general watching of the movie which I really enjoyed, I couldn't help but notice a few things...

(1) how incredibly close to the Lockheed Martin logo Stark Industries was...do they have to get permission for something like that (the movie guys), or is LM perhaps just happy to have it looped together on it there for posterity sake?...just curious...

And then

(2) you know how often computer placement is in movies/shows these days?...constantly, I am used to seeing the Apple - Mac logo in a TV show or movie, that I found it interesting how in Iron Man there was an obvious use of both Mac and Dell (and in Dell you presumably have the MS operating system). In Stark's home for all the gadgetry and design, 3-D modeling, etc. he was putting a Mac to use...then when you move to the Stark industries "corporate" environment, they show you the "Dell" logo...and rightly enough they also show Pepper Potts moving files on an external drive from one to the next.

What does all this matter? Perhaps my thought will be deemed moot; I just found it kind of interesting, in that in today's day and age, I think marketers and advertisers have to play a bit of a different game. We watch less ads with usage of TiVo and what not, and in doing so, films and internet content will perhaps get more cleaver with the way products and features are shown...no matter how subliminal seeming it may be....

And then there's what is ahead for this guy, Alex Bogusky; Alex, as the Fast Company article shares with us, is heading up some re-branding for Microsoft's battle with Mac.

I haven't encountered a single individual yet who is happy they have MS Vista on their machine; and, experience has told me that you can have great marketing, but if what's under the covers doesn't match the quality/or what's promised...the player is not going to last / have much staying power. So, fwiw...I am not sure a guy like this is what MS really needs, n'est pas?

This is not at all to say that MS doesn't have staying power, it sure does, but I would argue certain feature/functionality arguments of both systems continue to hold water and that is why the "Mac vs. PC" ads have done so well for Apple's chipping away the ol' MS block.

Perhaps in the end Bogusky can conjure up something creative, the likes of Iron Man, where varying systems can co-exhist to bring about an optimal working environment...or perhaps even better still -- having been a former Mac shop gone PC -- they can throw some creative design funtionality/usability ideas over the MS fence. Maybe then, if they can break the status quo and blend creative juices together...a greater Mac vs. PC innovation battle will get to brewing.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.