Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Back in 1985 when we were getting married I sold my house and we added a new top floor to my wife's split-level. The footprint of the original living room, dining room and kitchen was duplicated, but split into a huge master suite with bedroom, bath and library. Of course the bathroom had double sinks. Matching china sinks, but not identical. Mine was conventional enough but my wife wanted one with a hand spray to wash her hair at the sink*. So that sink had four holes; hot, spout, cold and spray.

As I prepare to sell the house my plumber (family connection) determined that the old faucet was not worth keeping. He directed me to buy a "widespread" faucet, which I did. On Saturday he returned to install it. Once the old one was removed, he found that the holes were a wee bit too small for the standard diameter of the hot and cold units. The path of replacing the sink (one of two matching), which would have probably meant replacing the counter top... no, not going to happen.

He retrieved from his truck a carbide-tipped hole saw just a bit larger than needed. He had to angle it because of the cabinet above, and spray it with water now and then, but he was able to drill out the holes and the hot so cold fit.

I paid him extra for saving my posterior.

*(To my knowledge she never washed her hair at the sink.)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.