Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What do you read, when you're reading The Motley Fool Cars&Drivers board?

Do you have a favorite general cars-and-trucks kind of magazine, like Motor Trend? Or a generic devoted to the sporting side, such as Road&Track? Are you a hardcore that reads AutoWeek? Or maybe your favorite is the club magazine, such as Roundel? Or a One-Marque magazine devoted to a specific brand, or even model of car?

What are you reading, these days?
Print the post Back To Top
I subscribe to ROAD&TRACK and CAR&DRIVER, and have for more than twenty years. My CAR&DRIVER actually goes back twenty-five years, now. I used to read a lot more (about cars) than I do, now.

I let my AutoWeek expire several years ago. I had that for three or four years before the format change, and kept it for four or five years after it became a "real" magazine. But I really missed Satch Carlson.

I've been tempted from time to time to pick up a racing magazine. I bought a few issues of ChampCar magazine, but it folded-up a few years ago. It was really good and I miss it and I hope that mine wasn't the subscription that they needed to still be in business.

While on vacation a few months ago, I picked up BIMMER magazine at a news stand, along with a Mazda magazine and a few others. BIMMER was such a good magazine that I actually have found myself dreaming about buying a BMW! ( http://www.YourBimmer.com/ ) They had articles and columns about BMWs, sure, but the focus wasn't on the trust fund set. The issues I saw were full of "I bought my 3-series for $5000 and put $2500 into it and now it's worth a skillion bucks to me!" -type stories about guys (and gals, too) who bought their cars used, not to say used up, and did a little "restovation" on them and now have terrific daily driver transportation without huge car payments and insurance and so on.

I really wish that there was a BIMMER magazine for Honda owners. I'd love to be able to get really enthused over our Accord ten or twelve times per year.
Car&Driver, of course.

I also used to get VW Trends and Hot VW's, mostly for the aircooled VW's. But both of those would politely side-step the issue of how VWoA and VWAg are both mean, nasty, ugly faceless corporations who don't give a hoot about their customers.

Duck
I subscribe to Muscle Car. Since it's a startup, they aren't resting on their laurels. So far, great reads.

Richard
RE: MH: "What are you reading, these days?"

These days, only Autoweek, the industry news in the WStJournal, and whatever I'm inspired to dig up on the 'net.

In years past I subscribed to as many as 7 or 8 publications. I have a collection of thousands of car magazines from as far back as the early 50's (which I "inherited". I ain't that old!) including virtually every issue from the mid 60's through the 70's of Motor Trend, Hot Rod, Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Popular Hot Rodding. I also have model car, circle track, antique and collector car and motorcyle mags.

It's really fun to look through some of the older ones now and then.

SB (feeling old)
It's really fun to look through some of the older ones now and then.

SB (feeling old)

=====*==========
about twenty years ago I used to look through my grandfather Popular Mechanics, especially the annual new car issue. These were 60's issues.
I've subscribed to Car and Driver since the '83 (or was it an '84?) Corvette came out; by far may favorite. I've also been getting Sports Car from the SCCA since about 1995, and Racer since maybe 1996.

A friend passes about 6 or 7 issues of Road and Track on to me each year; and I like the "upmarked editorial mood" as I call it. I'll also thumb some of the Corvette specialty stuff and Hemming's when I'm at my dad's place, and I get annual buyer's guides for US and UK motorcylces from <Cycle World and Bike.

Motor Trend was just so dopey for so many years (IS THIS THE NEXT FIERO?!?!?!?!?), and I haven't been back. Automobile never caught my eye, and from '87 to '92 I saw a lot of the dry Automotive News, as my dad was in the fleet business.

Today I'll occasionally pick up single issues of British mags. I love the enthusiasm around specialization like Classic and Sports Car and Motorsport and, once or twice a year, Max Power for, you know, the birds.

6Speed, no orinthologist.

No. of Recommendations: 1
GRM http://www.grmotorsports.com/

and

SportsCar (SCCA monthly) http://www.scca.org/

oh yeah,

Consumer Reports ;-)
I'll look through old magazines of any sort once in a while to read the car ads, especially from the fifties and early sixties. A flea market with a stack of car ads for sale is an expecially interesting find. Also like miata.net though it's not a mag.

GeeB, lusting for another Miata, a Henry J and a bathtub Nash Rambler.
My take is AutoWeek because I get a more frequent fix than monthly.
Road & Track used to be my fave, but now can read through the weekly
rag quickly and be on to something else.

BobboM
I get Road & Track and Car and Driver each month. Have for almost 30 years. I used to save them, but before the third move I couldn't remember why and just chucked them.

I live my life vicariously through Peter Egan (R&T). He is worth the subscription price every month. Car and Driver is a fun read, although Brock Yates is an arogant pompus a$$.

I really liked DED,jr at CandD and when he left to start Automobile I became a charter subscriber. That only lasted a year. It seemed the writing was more about the dining and lodging and the cars were just vehicles that got them there. Haven't picked one up in years, so I don't know if that has changed.

Ken

RE: Ken: "I really liked DED,jr at CandD and when he left to start Automobile I became a charter subscriber."

I'd forgotten about Automobile. I was a charter subscriber too, for the same reason as you.

I'm not sure what it was. I enjoyed the quality of the writing but the magazine just didn't hold my interest. After a few years I noticed them laying around unread so I let my subscription expire.

SB (and, apparently, completely forgot about it besides)
I subscribed to R&T for many years beginning about 1965, mainly for the F1 reports by Henry Manney. When he passed, so did I. Porsche's Christophorus came in the mail for about ten years, mainly for the factory calendar application card. C&D I've read on a single issue basis, mainly for interesting editorial content whilst Davis was there. Then Automobile occasionally, for the restaurant and lodging guide <SEG>. I did Autoweek, too, back when it was a newspaper. Later, I was a charter subscriber to Racer, but found I wasn't reading it - only looking at the photographs.

Nowadays I get my automotive fix online with nothing cluttering up the mailbox.

I do miss the annual Pirelli calendar on the garage wall, though.....

UncleLee
The only one I pay for is Car & Driver, although I've been reading Motor Trend for several years (recurring subscription gift from my inlaws, probably wouldn't pay for it at this point). Automotive News gets a look occasionally (subscription at work). I've done Automobile, AutoWeek, Road & Track, and others over the years and just got bored with them pretty quickly...

My daily fix is free online at http://www.thecarconnection.com/

HoosierBean
No. of Recommendations: 9
I started with the first issues of Road&Track (about 12 pages) and Hot Rod (not much bigger)when I was in high school 1948-51. I've had subs to almost all of them including Rod & Custom and SportsCar Graphic. My oldest son bought AutoWeek when he was in college in the '70'sand past it on, and now thats all I read, everything else is on-line and timely. We lived in London in the '60-70's and I worked all over Europe and read the local magazines in German, Africaans and French, most were pretty good.

About 1990 Autoweek wanted $10 more for a 2 year renewal than for a new subscription. So my Old English Sheep Dog, Oxford Stockman, signed up for the new subscription, it's still in his name. Ever since that time he's been getting DVD's from BMW, fancy invites to road test new Jags at Road Atlanta and marketing phonecalls from credit card companies. We usually tell the callers "He's tied up in the backyard right now, he'll get back to you." He passed away at the age of 13 in 1996 but loved cars, especially rental cars (good smells).

Bob in Cobb
Automobile - subscriber for 3 years+
Top Gear - magazine version of the wonderful show on the BBC
Grassroots Motorports - autorag most in-line with the values of the Fool
Is there a car mag/webZine that focuses primarily on the "renovation" of existing autos as opposed to highlighting sneak peaks of future autos and performance reviews of current models?

I'm thinking of something with articles along the lines of "How to pimp your 90's Sedan" , "Auto Apolstery Changes for Idiots", "Everything you wanted to know about wheels and tires but were afraid to ask", "Stupid Engine Tricks", "Primping and Tinting" and "Model Makeovers - From Frumpy to Thumpy" ....

Thx,
(wondering how his 95 Crown Vic will look with leopard skin seats)
I hope so, 'Eleven. I'd love to subscribe.

That really is one of the coolest parts of BIMMER, for me. They do such a good job that I actually wish I owned a 3-series of my own.

They've talked about how to upgrade various systems and components quite a bit in the three or four issues I've seen so far.

I don't know how or why, but I'm starting to really get into the idea of buying an early-middle '90s BMW and shining it up a little.
Hi Mark -

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like a fertile market niche for an aspiring auto mag publisher.

The home renovation mags sell well, why not auto renovation?

Re: BIMMER, I'll take a look, though it may create envy within for a certain L6 I've been eyeing(don't tell the wife->)

P.S. to private reply from roger - You got it, To the stage!