Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not as into fruit as much as vegetables, but I like a good clementine, and I've recently gotten into smoothies (usually with a banana and one other fruit, or a mix of fruits).

What are your favorite fruits?

Erik
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Grapefruit with watermelon closing fast.

Phil
INPO:

Peaches
Cherries
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Plums
Champagne grapes
Clementines
Mandarin oranges

Notice a trend? Most of these are available in summer only (good quality and reasonably priced, that is). I don't eat a lot of fruit in winter, outside of grapes and clementines.

Straight up and very fresh:
Blueberries
Strawberries (when I am able to snag a couple from my greedy child)
Oranges
Grapefruits
Mangos
Pears
Nectarines
Watermelon
Honeydew melons
Cantalopes
Pineapples
(almost any other fruit you can think of)

In something:
Bananas & Cheerios with milk for breakfast
Banana milkshakes
Mangos, pineapples, and pecans as a fruit salad
Strawberries in a milkshake
Blueberries in a milkshake (also great with bananas)
Homemade strawberry shortcake
Apple pie
Peaches in syrup
I'm sure there are a dozen others, but a with veggies, there are very few fruits I do not like.

RE: Erik: "favorite fruits?"

A perfect peach.

SB (a long ways from peach growing country)
Strawberries, nectarines, bananas and cantalope.
Forgot pineapple (golden, preferably) and watermelon!

My top two are pomegranates and huckleberries. After that there are a lot of things I like: blood oranges, mandarin oranges, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, saskatoons, jackfruit, Granny Smith apples, and Asian pears all come to mind right away.

Cody

That perfectly ripe navel orange that comes along a couple of times per season.

I also love......

grapes

watermelon

cantaloupe

pineapple

Granny Smiths

Red/Green Delicious

Macs

All of them together in a fruit salad is best of all.

I really wish I liked bananas but I can't stand them no matter how many times I try them.

bigpix
No. of Recommendations: 1
Ah jus' knowed frum de bottom uah lil' ol' Cajun heart dat you wuz gonna have to axe dis, Ah did, Ah did.

"I'm not as into fruit as much as vegetables, but I like a good clementine, and I've recently gotten into smoothies (usually with a banana and one other fruit, or a mix of fruits).

What are your favorite fruits?"

Air yuh a red E?

Air shore yuh is red E?

Wal, iffen dat is de case, heah yuh goes.....

Summa dem nice red vine ripe 'Maters wit salt, pepper, maybe a lil mayo 'n a cuppla slices uv fresh baked bread!!

DeColonelCAF
Cantaloupe. I love all melons, except watermelon. I like watermelon, I just don't love it, and never buy it. A perfectly ripe honeydew might would win out, but I run 90% on picking honeydews, and 100% on cantaloupes, and it's a close race anyway. Every year some of the less common melons like crenshaw, persian, canary, casaba find their way home, but only when they are dirt cheap.

RAv
A perfectly ripe honeydew might would win out, but I run 90% on picking honeydews, and 100% on cantaloupes, and it's a close race anyway.

Is there a trick to picking out the ripe, sweet melons? I'm not very good at it, but I have found that if I leave the melon out on the counter for a few days, it ripens and sweetens, so that's what I do. But if there's a good way to actually pick a good melon to start, I'd love to learn.
Strawberries! From the Farmer's Market, not the grocery store.
Raspberries
A yellow peach ripe from the tree

A
No. of Recommendations: 2
Is there a trick to picking out the ripe, sweet melons?

With cantaloupes, the blossom end should have a bit of a give to it, the color between the webbing should be "earthy" like not green, and when you sniff it, it should smell cantaloupey. :) Color is least important, but if you have a bit of give, and rich warm scent, part earth, part cantaloupe, and that's as in ripe not sticky sweet over ripe, you're good to go.

Somethings to bear in mind, melons don't have a starch reserve, so if they're picked early, they may ripen a bit more and become softer, but they won't become sweeter.

Regarding other melons. Hit google. I kinda follow the same procedure, and it doesn't work consistently well. Honeydews don't ever have a scent. That's why I stick to cantaloupes.

RAv
My top two are pomegranates and huckleberries.

I forgot to put pomegranates in there. I love those!!
Is there a trick to picking out the ripe, sweet melons? I'm not very good at it, but I have found that if I leave the melon out on the counter for a few days, it ripens and sweetens, so that's what I do. But if there's a good way to actually pick a good melon to start, I'd love to learn.

For most melons I follow the same basis with minor variations. All should sound solid with a slight hollow ring, no soft spots, or bruises.
Then the minor vaiations:
Cantelopes - scrath the end and it should smell like cantelope. The color should be tan colored, and the outside should feel firm with little to no give in it.
Watermelons - pick one that has a dark green color, with no soft spots. You do not have to worry as much about earth spots on watermelons as on other melons.
Honeydew - should be a very light green. I've found that a less hollow ring on a honeydew seems to come through, but that may be my imagination, too.
Canary - should be bright yellow, otherwise same as above.
But if there's a good way to actually pick a good melon to start, I'd love to learn.

I smell the spot of the stem. That seems to work.

I also buy tomatoes by scent.

- Megan
Strawberries! From the Farmer's Market, not the grocery store.

We got Muncho a couple of strawberry growing bags this year. I'm hoping to snag a couple of strawberries from her, but I'm not counting on it. She's a hound. I have to buy 3-4 quarts of strawberries if I want to have one quart for strawberry shortcakes.
Kathleen
My top two are pomegranates

Are pomegranates seasonal?

Erik
I smell the spot of the stem. That seems to work.

I also buy tomatoes by scent.

Eeeuuu! (No offense, Megan) I used to think that I needed to wash my store bought veggies well to get rid of insecticides! Now, it seems I need to worry about nasal secretions from everybody sniffing MY vegetables...

OleDoc
Dat RAv'enous wan said,

"ith cantaloupes, the blossom end should have a bit of a give to it, the color between the webbing should be "earthy" like not green, and when you sniff it, it should smell cantaloupey. :) Color is least important, but if you have a bit of give, and rich warm scent, part earth, part cantaloupe, and that's as in ripe not sticky sweet over ripe, you're good to go.

Somethings to bear in mind, melons don't have a starch reserve, so if they're picked early, they may ripen a bit more and become softer, but they won't become sweeter.

Regarding other melons. Hit google. I kinda follow the same procedure, and it doesn't work consistently well. Honeydews don't ever have a scent. That's why I stick to cantaloupes."

Yuh got's it rat on de money. Dey iz wan udder ting, iffen yuh thump dem wit yore three finger 'r yore four finger dey haz a kind uv a "clunk" sound to 'em. Ah has found de same to true of dem watermelons. De odor am a bit differnut uv course. In dem de "thunk" test is important.

DeColonelCAF

OleDoc says,

"Now, it seems I need to worry about nasal secretions from everybody sniffing MY vegetables..."

Nah, dat ain't no problem ... iffen dey is any good Ah taks dem home with me. Just leaves de no good 'n de maybes!

DeColonelCAF
Mangos, strawberries, blueberries, apples....
Are pomegranates seasonal?

Yeah, around here they show up in stores in late fall and peter out in January.

Cody
Wow, lots of fruits out there for me to try. I'm really starting to eat better (eating a vege stir fry with rice, and water right now), but I've avoided fruit in the past because it doesn't always agree with me. I figure, though, that I can stand 10 minutes of discomfort if it makes me healthier overall.

Erik
I used to be able to buy organic Haitian mangoes in Atlanta. I've never seen them again since moving to Austin, though the ataulfo mangoes from Mexico are, though not as good, similar.

Those Haitian mangoes were the best fruit I have ever tasted in around 25 years and I would pay top dollar for them if I could find them here!!!

[Note: they are/were the flat-type mangoes. Not too big. Not roundish. I hate those roundish mangoes.]

Lately too I have been making "agua fresca" - throw some chopped fruit (cantalope, honeydew, watermelon, strawberries all work well) into the blender with some water and a tiny bit of sugar, if needed. Yum!!!! They are a staple at lots of Mexican restaurants in the area and very easy to make at home.

Regards,
MitsouR