Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I think my favorite vegetable (or rather, preparation of that vegetable) is roasted cauliflower. It's really simple: All you do is slice the cauliflower across the head (or break up into florets), toss with salt, pepper, garlic (sometimes), and olive oil, and roast until nice and brown. Delicious.

What's your favorite vegetable.

Erik
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
garlic (sometimes)

Isn't omitting garlic from anything except a milkshake a crime? I thought I read that.

Hands down my favorite is asparagus. Nestled in softly scrambled eggs for breakfast, cold with some vinagrette at lunch, hot with Hollandaise or roasted for dinner, out of the fridge for a snack, etc. When it's plentiful I always seem to be running off to the store for reinforcements.

Phil
No. of Recommendations: 0
My favorite vegetable? hhmm....hard to decide. I really love zucchini and summer squash. But fresh young green bean straght from the garden are pretty incredible, too. As are fresh warm plum tomatoes. I guess I just really love vegetable, but never seem to be able to find them in the quality that I'm looking for. It's very frustrating.
I love cauliflower!

I also discovered that you can grill asparagus on the grill last week. Coat with a little olive oil and sprinkle a little sea salt, grill and turn for mebbe 5 minutes. It was great!!

Don't know why I hadn;t tried that before.

-Jim
Asparagus is great so many ways. We usually have it peeled and steamed just until it's tender/crunchy and marinate it in balsamic vinegar and olive oil with some fresh minced garlic and kosher salt. Spring is here and that mean Jersey corn is not far away. I love the first few weeks of getting it at the farmer's market. It's just so sweet! And goes really well with steamed crabs and beer, come on Summer!

Ed
I think my favorite vegetable (or rather, preparation of that vegetable) is roasted cauliflower. It's really simple: All you do is slice the cauliflower across the head (or break up into florets), toss with salt, pepper, garlic (sometimes), and olive oil, and roast until nice and brown. Delicious.

I usually think of cauliflower as that bland boiled or steamed brainlike looking thing. Not that I mind that but it usually needs some kind of sauce to make it desirable. But your description makes me want to try it that way. It sounds like it would be an improvement over the normal presentation.

Ed

We usually have it peeled and steamed just until it's tender/crunchy and marinate it in balsamic vinegar and olive oil with some fresh minced garlic and kosher sa

Think I'll try that recipe this week!

Spring is here and that mean Jersey corn is not far away

Roger that...
I'm up here in Morris County so we'll be keeping an eye on the Jersey corn produce for sure. 'specially the white corn!

-Jim
I'm up here in Morris County so we'll be keeping an eye on the Jersey corn produce for sure. 'specially the white corn!

-Jim

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!

I'm down here in Cape May, I can't wait. WhiskeyRiver, You a Willy fan? I saw a show on Food network about his whiskey, distilled small batch bourbon from the Heaven Hill Refinery, errr, Distillery. Actually I'm a fan of Heaven Hill. Tastes good,priced right.LOL!

Ed

You a Willy fan

Yes! I heard he had his own brand of Whiskey out but I've never tried it. Mebbe I should, no?

Heaven Hill Refinery, errr, Distillery

LOL!!! Nothin; like a little well made "hooch"...

-Jim (J.D. fan)
No. of Recommendations: 5

Erik

Wait... hold on... men... that eat... vegetables?!?!?!?!

Am I living in the wrong part of the country or something?

My single biggest dating complaint is untrained paletes. If it didn't moo, doesn't have parents, and/or isn't ground up, they don't eat it. Oh yeah, and frozen chicken fingers are okay too (sometimes).

THAT'S NOT FOOOD!!!!

So what am I missing? Are you guys like twice my age (I'm 24)? Did your mothers threaten loss of life and limb until you ate your greens?

Way curious,
Smurfette
Who would give left foot and move 6,000 miles for boyfriend with advanced palete
RE: Erik: "What's your favorite vegetable"

Anything right out of the garden, but, overall, the humble spud.

SB (new, in it's jacket, boiled, with salt, pepper, garlic and butter)
Yes! I heard he had his own brand of Whiskey

Yeah, his whiskey is called WhiskeyRiver and comes with a guitar pick with his signature on it.

Ed (Also a JD fan)
So what am I missing? Are you guys like twice my age (I'm 24)? Did your mothers threaten loss of life and limb until you ate your greens?

Way curious,
Smurfette

Perhaps a combination of the above reasons. But keep in mind this isn't the Monster Truck forum.(Not that's a bad thing, mind you.) Perhaps a change in hunting grounds is called for. Maybe the produce section? ; )

Ed (Likes his meat too)

I know this will make me strange, but my favorite vegetable is spinach. I love it sauteed with some garlic.

But I really like all vegetables except mayb brussel sprouts, but that may be because I don't really know how to cook them well.
Anything right out of the garden, but, overall, the humble spud.

SB,
I feel that the spud has transcended above mere vegetable status.

Ed
(I must have had a tad too much coffee. I don't believe I've ever posted this much at one time.)
No. of Recommendations: 2
RE: Ed: (must have had a tad too much coffee)

If coffee was a vegetable, spuds would have been number two on my list.

SB (never uses "too much" and "coffee" in the same sentence)
Frozen peas. Tomatoes from the garden. Red or green peppers in everything. Zucchini sauteed in butter.

Tomatoes from the garden.

Add them to my list too!
Tomatoes are just *GREAT*

-Jim
SB (never uses "too much" and "coffee" in the same sentence)

It's hard to believe considering my occupation and checkered past but for some reason or another coffee has the ability to get me too wired.

Go figure,
Ed
Dat Erik axe, shore do...

"What's your favorite vegetable."

Ah grew up, long tam ago, 'n we growed mos' uv our veggies. Ah never did lak gardening but Ah cain't tink of a veggie Ah don't lak. Specially tomaters, but wanna dem smart Yankee boys tolt me dat wuzn't a veggie but a fruit. Ah still laks it, same way as mah watermelon, shake jus' a lil' bit uv salt on dere 'n have at it.

DeColonelCAF

Ah still laks it, same way as mah watermelon, shake jus' a lil' bit uv salt on dere 'n have at it.

At last, someone else who salts their watermelon! I also put salt on apples, and my kids eat them the same way.
I really love zucchini and summer squash.

Around here, people will leave zucchini on your deck while you're not looking. It helps to lock your car too... ;-)

But fresh young green bean straght from the garden are pretty incredible, too.

Oh, yeah. Simply boiled and tossed with melted butter and a little salt. Delicious!

Erik
Isn't omitting garlic from anything except a milkshake a crime? I thought I read that.

In some houses it is...;-)

Hands down my favorite is asparagus

I used to hate it, but now I love it. I like it roasted, or grilled, or cut up and tossed with pasta or rice (which may be a sacrilidge, but who cares...).

Erik
Wait... hold on... men... that eat... vegetables?!?!?!?!

Yeah, but I'm older (29), and I only recently discovered that vegetables, if cooked the right way can taste as good as a nice steak. It wasn't too long ago that I just ate the nice steak...

Who would give left foot and move 6,000 miles for boyfriend with advanced palete

I don't think any men would take you without the foot. ;-)

Erk
Corn - on the cob - boiled, roasted, grilled. Also sauteed off the cob, grits, corn meal, corn bread, tortillas, tostadas, polenta...even flakes.

Any way is fine with me.
Joe Bass

1. Anything out of our garden (especially the red corn and tangerine tomatoes).
2. Sauted asparagas with Italian spices (rosemary, basil, etc.)
2. Sauted spinach with a little butter and salt
2. Sauted portobello mushrooms with sundried tomatoes and mozarella cheese
2. Steamed brussel sprouts
2. Steamed carrots
2. Steamed cauliflower
2. Steamed brocolli
etc.
My most recent on the love list is fresh patty pan squash from the garden grilled with a little EVOO and salt.
Kathleen
(there aren't many veggies I don't love)

We're getting ready to plant our garden and when Hubby told the girls we were putting in red corn, they both mugged him and told him how much they love him.
It is without a doubt the sweetest corn I have ever tried. Makes Silver Queen and Butter & Sugar seem bland.
Way curious,
Smurfette

Smurfette, you definitely need to date a better class of men. C'mon over to Georgia and I'll introduce you to guys that not only like food other than cold pizza, they even grow it and cook it for you.
Kathleen
(knows the REAL definition of a real man)
I don't think any men would take you without the foot. ;-)

I would.

OleDoc

Hubby told the girls we were putting in red corn

Thats a new one to me, where can I get some seeds for this variety??

-Jim
For me, definitely the spud comes first. Anyway you can cook it, I like it.

Second, a roasted onion. Done with a roasted leg with lamb. So sweet and caramelized, it melts in the mouth.

A

Radishes. I'll eat them like popcorn.

I have met many people that disagree with me on this. They think I am very strange, and the feeling is mutual.

I wouldn't say that I eat them like popcorn, but I do keep a plastic container of radishes ready to eat for snacks at night. Sometimes, I mix radishes, daikon sticks, and carrot sticks in the container and grab a handful of the mix for a snack.

OleDoc
Y'all talkin' 'bout wanna mah favorite foods when yuh said...

"Radishes. I'll eat them like popcorn.

I wouldn't say that I eat them like popcorn, but I do keep a plastic container of radishes ready to eat for snacks at night. Sometimes, I mix radishes, daikon sticks, and carrot sticks in the container and grab a handful of the mix for a snack."

Ah remembulates 'bout a tousand year ago when Ah wuz a lil' boy up in Oregon dat mah daddy tolt me dat iffen yuh growin' radishes 'n yuh wants dem mild 'n sweet yuh plants dem in de shade 'n give dem lotsa water. If'n yuh wants dem hot 'n fiery yuh plants dem in de sun 'n don't give dem hardly no water. Den 'bout seven or six hunnert year later a Mexicano friend of mine he tolt me de same ting 'bout dem chili peppers. Allus seems to wuk fohr me. Any y'all hear dat afore?

DeColonelCAF

Hey Fog, me too!
I could go thru a bag of those babies like nothing. I also tend to "inhale" those little cherry tomatos as well.

-Jim
Hands down my favorite is asparagus.

Me too ... in a salad, with hollandaise sauce, in a quiche. It's delicious.

Stockton, CA is having their asparagus festival in a couple of weeks and I plan to be there with bells on (they do great deep fried asparagus and even asparagus margaritas).
RE: Jim: "Radishes. I'll eat them like popcorn"

I love radishes too!

Once a group of friends and I went out to dinner at a restaurant which featured a salad bar, which I dislike on philosophical grounds and refuse to partake of. I wasn't too proud, however, to compromise my principles somewhat and ask someone to bring me a few radishes.

They returned with a report that there were none available. When we mentioned this to our server, they went back to the kitchen and returned with a 6-8 qt stainless bowl full of radishes on ice, apparently originally intended for the salad bar but forgotten.

They got a real nice tip.

SB (and I ate plenty of radishes)

...a salad bar, which I dislike on philosophical grounds and refuse to partake of.

LOL! I thought I was the only one!
DW & I just got back from Vegas and dined at not one single buffet.

Although, I can't say if my "grounds" rise to the rarified level of "philosophical". I just deplore any and all gorge-yourself-with-quantity-over-quality offerings.

Good to know I'm not alone.

MA
...thinks that places like "Western Sizzler" (do those still exist?) are the root of all evil.
"I just deplore any and all gorge-yourself-with-quantity-over-quality offerings."

And I deplore those restaurants where you walk in hungry -- and exit with the same sensations.

Ray
No. of Recommendations: 3
RE: MA: I can't say if my "grounds" rise to the rarified level of "philosophical"

I don't consider it a "rarefied level", but rather basic, in an existential sense:

From M-W OnLine Dictionary:

Main Entry: ex·is·ten·tial·ism
Pronunciation: -'ten(t)-sh&-"li-z&m
Function: noun
: a chiefly 20th century philosophical movement embracing diverse doctrines but centering on analysis of individual existence in an unfathomable universe and the plight of the individual who must assume ultimate responsibility for his acts of free will without any certain knowledge of what is right or wrong or good or bad.

As such, when dining in a restaurant, I prefer to be served.

SB (remember what day it is today)
And, in a less existential sense, the fact that salad bars have an attachment called a "sneeze guard" should tell you all you need to know.

SB
And, in a less existential sense, the fact that salad bars have an attachment called a "sneeze guard" should tell you all you need to know.

And think with buffets and such, with people going to the bathroom and not washing their hands, and then coming back to use the tongs, and then the tongs fall in the food....

Yuck. I had a salad for lunch. Now I'm making myself sick...

Erik
RE: Erik: "with people going to the bathroom and not washing their hands, and then coming back to use the tongs, and then the tongs fall in the food...."

Precisely!

I prefer my food contamination to take place out of sight in the kitchen where it belongs.

SB (has worked in restaurants)
prefer my food contamination to take place out of sight in the kitchen where it belongs.

I was going to hop on my chestnut destrier and ride to the rescue of salad bars. I like odd things, in disproportionate amounts in a "salad" (I define salad as an excuse to eat bleu cheese and 1000 island dressing). After reading through things, I gave him a nice helping of warm oat mash, and will make my own salads from here on out.

RAv
Who more than 20 years ago once managed a chain restaurant where we had to completely 86 the salad bar because some patron decided to sample things from the spoons.
RE: RAv: "...hop on my chestnut destrier"

For those not inclined towards the study of feudalism, I've provided an artist's rendition of the valiant RAv astride his trusty destrier:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.the-orb.net/wemsk/destrier.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.the-orb.net/wemsk/feudknightwemsk.html&h=341&w=312&sz=47&tbnid=4lkbHUvhJ_wJ:&tbnh=115&tbnw=105&start=9&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddestrier%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

SB (who says chivalry is dead?)
...the fact that salad bars have an attachment called a "sneeze guard" should tell you all you need to know.

Yes, exactly!
I luv radishes. I was watching food TV when Sara was on and she was making greens (spinach I think) and sauted those radishes with the greens. I immediately made that dish and now it is one I make often. Try your radishes sauted....very good...

Blue
Once a group of friends and I went out to dinner at a restaurant which featured a salad bar, which I dislike on philosophical grounds and refuse to partake of.

My dislike of buffets has nothing to do with philosophy, but a lot to do with human nature.
Kathleen
(never trust a kid near a buffet)
Although, I can't say if my "grounds" rise to the rarified level of "philosophical". I just deplore any and all gorge-yourself-with-quantity-over-quality offerings.

Good to know I'm not alone.

Although I'm not fond of the gorge-yourself attitude, my discomfort gears more toward the problems in human nature. I once saw a kid do something that all children do to his nose, then go up to the buffett.
I swore then and there, NEVER again, and left immediately. At least in the kitchen, I don't know what they've done to my food.
Kathleen
P.S. Yes, WS is still around as is Golden Corral, etc.
As such, when dining in a restaurant, I prefer to be served.

I have acquaintances that do not understand when I say, "If I have to serve myself, I don't want to eat there." I consider myself as good a cook as most chefs (and definitely better than the guys in the buffets), so I also consider being served to be a major part of the ambiance of eating out.
The closest I want to get to serving myself in a restaurant is The Melting Pot.
Kathleen
RE: Blue: "Try your radishes sauted"

I wondered about that. How about as an addition to mirepoix?

SB (what's the French for "plus radish")
RE: zs: "I also consider being served to be a major part of the ambiance of eating out"

Since I enjoy both cooking and eating at home, the occasions I eat in restaurants are usually social or business functions. I prefer to concentrate my attention on my companions or guests and let the establishment's staff provide the service, and I'm more than willing to pay more for it.

SB (and tip generously besides)
SB, I don't think it would do well but since I haven't tried it I can't say for sure.

Saute a few and you will see why I don't think it would do well in mirepoix.

Blue
RE: Blue: "I don't think (adding radish) would do well in mirepoix"

From John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds site:

http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/cgi-bin/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=31

"Cooking With Radishes: Red radishes are usually eaten raw, to preserve their color and crispness. But I love to use them in cooked dishes as well. The trick is adding them toward the end of the cooking process. I toss in a handful of sliced radishes when I'm stir-frying vegetables. I also love the bright color they give to fried rice."

SB (will see that plenty of radishes are planted in his garden this year, including French Breakfast and Rat Tails)

SB: so there you have it. Try radishes in your favorite dish and report. I do like them sauted but actually don't think they would be all that good in stir fry. I don't know that either because I haven't tried it. Next time I make stir fry I will try it.

Blue (who wishes she could have a little garden)
Accord' tuh yo' suggestion....

"Try radishes in your favorite dish and report."

Sir! Yessir!! Ah tried summa dem radishes in Ginger. Me, her 'n de radiisses wuz all HOT!!!

De(smilin)ColonelCAF
Colonel DeCaf.... you are to funny. Try those radishes without the ginger maybe you won't be so hot...

Blue
I hear ya Smurfette! BF orders chicken fingers and fries 90% of the times we go out to a restaurant. Anything else ordered is so well done you cannot even taste it. I'd even take intermediate palette at this point!
I hear ya Smurfette! BF orders chicken fingers and fries 90% of the times we go out to a restaurant. Anything else ordered is so well done you cannot even taste it. I'd even take intermediate palette at this point!

At least I'm not alone!!!!

<sigh>

Any single men living in the DC area who know the difference between arugula and romaine feel free to say hello.... ;-)

Smurfette

PS - Bonus points to those that like horseradish, mushrooms and/or stinky cheese!!!

I feel for you Smurfette. But it goes the other way as well. I have yet to have a girlfriend who could cook or appreciate anything but the blandest of food.

My last one stripped the tasty goodness out of everything she ordered. (What's the point of a gorgonzola and walnut salad without the gorgonzola?)

I would like to help you out, but I'm in San Diego and the only person I know in the DC area is a woman. (Though I know she likes mushrooms and stinky cheese. Not sure on the horseradish.)

Good luck.
I feel for you Smurfette. But it goes the other way as well. I have yet to have a girlfriend who could cook or appreciate anything but the blandest of food.

My last one stripped the tasty goodness out of everything she ordered. (What's the point of a gorgonzola and walnut salad without the gorgonzola?)

I would like to help you out, but I'm in San Diego and the only person I know in the DC area is a woman. (Though I know she likes mushrooms and stinky cheese. Not sure on the horseradish.)

Oh, what a wimp! That's the worst. Maybe I should move or something... San Diego, you say? ;-)

Smurfette
Oh, what a wimp! That's the worst. Maybe I should move or something... San Diego, you say? ;-)

Smurfette

==================================================================

If only it were that simple. I don't think the palate here is any different than the pallet in DC. We just have a higher tolerance for spicy food. :-)
Any single men living in the DC area who know the difference between arugula and romaine feel free to say hello.... ;-)

I've resisted all day, but I give.

You need to add straight in there.

Have you gone to the Dupont Farmers Market? If it hasn't started yet, it shouldn't be long. It's my favorite summer shopping place.

RAv
RE: RAv: "You need to add straight in there"

I didn't know arugala even came in a "straight" variety?

SB (romaine, I'm alsmost postive, doesn't)

I've resisted all day, but I give.

You need to add straight in there.

Have you gone to the Dupont Farmers Market? If it hasn't started yet, it shouldn't be long. It's my favorite summer shopping place.

LOL ok fair enough... I work in Dupont Circle but I've never been to the farmers market. I will check it out.

Thanks for the tip!
Smurfette
ahh, dupont circle isn't exactly known for its straights: arugula or romaine....

(jest sayin')

b
LOL ok fair enough... I work in Dupont Circle but I've never been to the farmers market. I will check it out.

You have to. It's Sundays. Last spring I got some green garlic which became part of a great potato soup. Think potato leek, and use green garlic instead of leeks. I'd never heard of green garlic before.

The tomatoes. I broke down and bought one at the market last week. Never again. The worst you can get at Dupont are 10x better than what you get at any chain market. What's even better is they often cost less than the chain markets.

Eastern Market is my explore this summer list, I know nothing of it, but you might want to add it to yours.

Rav

You have to. It's Sundays. Last spring I got some green garlic which became part of a great potato soup. Think potato leek, and use green garlic instead of leeks. I'd never heard of green garlic before.

The tomatoes. I broke down and bought one at the market last week. Never again. The worst you can get at Dupont are 10x better than what you get at any chain market. What's even better is they often cost less than the chain markets.

Eastern Market is on my explore this summer list, I know nothing of it, but you might want to add it to yours.

Rav

FWIW, when Hubby quite stupidly married me, I could not cook. The saddest part is that my culinary skills had already improved 100 times over what they were 5 years before that. I could appreciate good food, I simply didn't want to cook it. I told my mother, "The day I learn to cook, they'll stop taking me out to dinner."
Sure enough, I was right.
Kathleen
No. of Recommendations: 5
ahh, dupont circle isn't exactly known for its straights: arugula or romaine....

Let's see if I can answer with humor and then tie the whole thing back to bing on topic.

No promise.

Yeah, Dupont is known, in the vernacular, as being the "Fruit Loop." Hey, cereal!! I'm on topic. However, as a frequent visitor to the area, though I live in VA, it's a very diverse area. Yes, the heart of Gay DC. However when I'm sitting at the circle on a Sunday after having shopped the Farmer's Market, scoring the best deals on some of the areas best produce, there are as many str8 couple lounging on the green as gay couples.

I don't think about the gender of the couples holding hands in the Marvelous Market; I really don't have nothing against str8 folk, jest sayin'. When I'm rooting about for the best cheese bargins. I just snarl and act rude if someone is going for the last piece of triple cream bire. It's mine, I tell ya, MINE.

Fine food and sexual orientation are not related.

RAv

I told my mother, "The day I learn to cook, they'll stop taking me out to dinner."
Sure enough, I was right.

===============================================

Do all women feel this way? You see; I can cook. In fact, I cook damn well. (My god, the entrance to my kitchen is barely big enough for my head to fit.) I cook during the week and eat out on the weekends. I don't see this changing just because I find a woman who can cook.

On a side note, I know more guys who can cook than women. My theory has always been that the girls growing up thought they were “liberated” (whatever that means) and decided that they didn't need to know how to cook. Meanwhile because of this, the guys start thinking, “No woman is going to cook for me. I'd better learn to cook.” Thus the present situation is born. (Something else I realized with my last girlfriend, the number of women who know how to kickbox is greater than the number of men who have learned how to fight. Thank you Billy Blanks. My theory on this is that thin women look in the mirror and think, “I'm fat.” Meanwhile the fat slobs of the world look in the mirror and thinks, “Damn I'm sexy. The end result, they can all kick our asses.)
Do all women feel this way? You see; I can cook. In fact, I cook damn well. (My god, the entrance to my kitchen is barely big enough for my head to fit.) I cook during the week and eat out on the weekends. I don't see this changing just because I find a woman who can cook.

I don't know if all women feel this way, but my husband can cook. It just gives him another excuse to not take me out to dinner.
Kathleen
Hey dere MisKat, purty girl... yuh said,

"Do all women feel this way? You see; I can cook. In fact, I cook damn well. (My god, the entrance to my kitchen is barely big enough for my head to fit.) I cook during the week and eat out on the weekends. I don't see this changing just because I find a woman who can cook.

I don't know if all women feel this way, but my husband can cook. It just gives him another excuse to not take me out to dinner.
Kathleen"

Ah'm shore glad ('n so's de bambly) dat mah Mother din't tawt me how tuh cook. She wuz a German Noo Yawk lady 'n wuz de sorstest cook in de world. Dunno how Ah survived it. Her favorate steak recipe wuz tuh trow it inter a fryin' pan 'n burn it black.

But her cookies 'n cakes 'n dat wuz sumpin' else again. We still gots summa dem recipes but cain't quite match hers. She gotta a lotta writeups in de San Diego Union 'cause she useter bake cookes fer de Naval Hospital up in Balboa Park. Wuz dey glad tuh see her comin'!

DeColonelCAF

yeah yeah yeah... I didn't say I was boyfriend shopping there!

We're talking about VEGETABLES!

sheesh ;-)

Smurfette
You have to. It's Sundays.

Done then. I'm at work on the weekends often enough, I'll plan to come to the market a few times over the summer.

I haven't been to Eastern Market since I was a kid, but I've heard they have good cheese so you might want to check that out. :)

Cheers
Smurfette
Hey dere MisKat, purty girl... yuh said,

"Do all women feel this way? You see; I can cook. In fact, I cook damn well. (My god, the entrance to my kitchen is barely big enough for my head to fit.) I cook during the week and eat out on the weekends. I don't see this changing just because I find a woman who can cook.

Kathleen"

Ah'm shore glad ('n so's de bambly) dat mah Mother din't tawt me how tuh cook. She wuz a German Noo Yawk lady 'n wuz de sorstest cook in de world. Dunno how Ah survived it. Her favorate steak recipe wuz tuh trow it inter a fryin' pan 'n burn it black.

But her cookies 'n cakes 'n dat wuz sumpin' else again. We still gots summa dem recipes but cain't quite match hers. She gotta a lotta writeups in de San Diego Union 'cause she useter bake cookes fer de Naval Hospital up in Balboa Park. Wuz dey glad tuh see her comin'!

DeColonelCAF

Dear ColonelCAF,
I have no clue what you have in this post, nor do I feel like hunting down an interpreter to find out. I have you in my p-box because it is simply too much of a hassle to read the items you post. I'm sure they have many useful gems, and I'm sure I am missing out terribly, but I truly do not wish to waste my time deciphering this.
My apologies that I even have to reply to this, but this is in my replies box, consequently the p-box does not apply.
Sincerely,
Kathleen
Eastern Market is my explore this summer list, I know nothing of it, but you might want to add it to yours.

We have a couple of very ethnic farmer's markets in the 'burbs of Hotlanta. It's really cool getting stuff there, but it's sometimes difficult to figure out what you are getting.
Kathleen
I have no clue what you have in this post

Kathleen:

yB gniunitnoc ot tnemmoc no sih esu fo tahw eh dna) (srehto redisnoc nettirw "nujaC" ,tcelaid uoy ylno egaruocne mih ot od ti neve .erom

I dnatsrednu taht sih tsop saw ni ruoy "seilpeR" tub I tesggus taht ni ,erutuf nehw uoy kcilc no eht tsop dna ees ohw eht rohtua ,si uoy lyerem elkcuhc a ,elttil timda taht ev'ouy tsuj detsaw a etunim ro owt fo ruoy emit dna og no ot eht txen .tsop

s'tahT tahw I od .won

Christina
Hey dere, y'all....

"I have no clue what you have in this post

Kathleen:

yB gniunitnoc ot tnemmoc no sih esu fo tahw eh dna) (srehto redisnoc nettirw "nujaC" ,tcelaid uoy ylno egaruocne mih ot od ti neve .erom

I dnatsrednu taht sih tsop saw ni ruoy "seilpeR" tub I tesggus taht ni ,erutuf nehw uoy kcilc no eht tsop dna ees ohw eht rohtua ,si uoy lyerem elkcuhc a ,elttil timda taht ev'ouy tsuj detsaw a etunim ro owt fo ruoy emit dna og no ot eht txen .tsop

s'tahT tahw I od .won"

Now dat mak puffeck sense tuh me. Sounds rat good.

DeColonelCAF

DeColonelCAF

Translation: I am sure glad (and so is the family) that my Mother didn't teach me how to cook. She was a German New York lady and was the (worst or sorryest) cook in the world. I don't know how I survived it. Her favorite steak recipe was to throw it into a frying pan and burn it black. But her cookies and cakes and that were something else. We still have some of the recipes but can't quite match hers. She got a lot of writeups in the San Diego Union because she used to bake cookies for the Naval Hospital in Balboa Park. Were they glad to see her coming! - DeColonelCAF

Took Colonel Speak 101 in college,
James