Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Here is a link to an article on my home page this morning. FDA approval would help, I believe.

http://www.healthscout.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Af.woa?id=95171&ap=77
Print the post Back To Top
Ken,

Considering the same news from a different source, a question arose:

Haven't we been using bio-engineered foods since the time of Mendel, with the one difference being the means of acquiring the bio-engineering?

Doug
We've been engineering foods for far longer than that. For thousands of years, farmers have kept the seeds from their best-producing plants or breeding their best-producing cows in order to improve their yields. The idea is not new, but as you say only the means have changed.
Doug, didn't Mendel do things "naturally"? ;)
In the area of animal husbandry (not a commonly used term today), weaknesses and undesired characteristics are bred out of and strengths and desired traits are bred into certain lines of animals (cows, horses, laboratory mice, etc). This has also been happening in horticulture at least since the time of Mendel and most probably before that. The difference from today and Mendel's is the increased depth of understanding, the technological abilities are greater, the public and government is more informed in scientific events, and Mendel wasn't nearly as famous during his life as he became after. If Mendel had not been a monk and had a better PR staff, Green Giant would never have been conceived, and Mendel's Monster would have been a household name.
mcb
Mendel's Monster

I like that. Of course, most modern PR departments would probably suggest changing that name in order to deprive the competition and opponents from playing on the name in a negative way. ;-}

Doug
No. of Recommendations: 1
Testing is imperative of course, but the opposition is gathering strength. They are acting quickly and decisively with their campaign.

Two mailings crossed my desk this week...one warning consumers that (Brand X) cereal, and one that (Brand X Co.) were marketing GM foods. I expect to see more of the same, targeting different companies as time goes on.

The (unnamed consumer group) web site was listed as the place to go to enlist aid with your formal complaint.

Due to a conflict, I can't be more specific with names, but my point is that they [consumer advocates] are already organized, and ready to do battle. They are making it as easy as possible for people to "join up" and be heard....and still no attempt from the industry itself, to educate the public.

The European concerns are very real. Has there been an attempt to inform and/or reassure them? Will our farmers grow one crop for us, and one for export? I don't think so. And who is to say that the more "accepting" Americans will stay accepting?

Is the industry so arrogant that they think they can ignore these consumer groups? Have you noticed that companies who've been quietly using the product for some time now, are canceling orders?

JD is right about this one, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot.