Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Fear of paying for repair work as an excuse to pay a dealer ...

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Where did I say I paid a dealer more because they fixed up the car? How do you even know anything about my automobile transactions?

For the record, the car I'm thinking of was about 3 years old when I bought it, was in very good shape cosmetically, and had a lot of miles for it's age. The asking price was right about what the pricing services said was a trade-in value (significantly less than dealer retail or private party). I offered them a bit less than their asking price and we had a deal. I even took their financing because it was at a lower interest rate than I found on my own. (Probably due to qualifying for factory used car financing.)

I kept the car for about 8 or 9 years, added another 80k or so to the odometer, and did virtually nothing to it other than wear items (brakes and tires). I don't know if the dealer did any fixing up before they sold it to me or not. And I really don't care. What I care about is my experience with the car, which was quite good.

Much better than another purchase from a private party. Yes, I paid less - a lot less - even after considering the transmission I had to replace a couple of years after I bought it. This second car is a soulless bit of transportation in mediocre condition with ergonomic quirks that annoy me. But I still drive it because it works and I'm too cheap to get something else.

As to fear of repairs -- that's a joke. I was rebuilding engines before I could drive. I mainly farm that work out now because it's no longer the fun that it once was, particularly on newer cars with horrible access to repair them. But I still diagnose my own problems and fix the easy stuff.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.