Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
A New York theatre company has put off plans to stage a play about an American activist killed by an Israeli bulldozer in Gaza because of the current "political climate" - a decision the play's British director, Alan Rickman, denounced yesterday as "censorship".
James Nicola, the artistic director of the New York Theatre Workshop, said it had never formally announced it would be staging the play, My Name is Rachel Corrie, but it had been considering staging it in March.

"In our pre-production planning and our talking around and listening in our communities in New York, what we heard was that after Ariel Sharon's illness and the election of Hamas, we had a very edgy situation," Mr Nicola said.....

"This is censorship born out of fear, and the New York Theatre Workshop, the Royal Court, New York audiences - all of us are the losers."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1719691,00.html

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
I read the article and didn't see this phrase that you use "Fear of US Jewish Lobby"

What in the heck is the "Jewish Lobby" that you are referring to? These aren't politicians - they are a small theather company. What do they care about a lobby?

The artistic director said that in the current political climate – election of Hamas and Sharon illness – performing the play would incorrectly suggest a political position: “"We found that our plan to present a work of art would be seen as us taking a stand in a political conflict, that we didn't want to take."

Maybe they think that the play will be poorly attended. Maybe they think they will be boycotted by people who feel their play is making a political statement with which they disagree.

I don't know.

Is it censorship when the theater company itself decides not to perform a play?

Why not post it though and blame it on American Jews? Always good for a few recs, right?

MitsouR
No. of Recommendations: 2
Oh bollocks. Censorship is a state action. This was no such thing. These guys decided that they didn't want to put on the play at this time, whether for political reasons or political aesthetics. Its their right; they own the property and can do what they like.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Oh bollocks. Censorship is a state action. This was no such thing. These guys decided that they didn't want to put on the play at this time, whether for political reasons or political aesthetics. Its their right; they own the property and can do what they like.

Hey, Joel - with all due respect, that's not what the link is saying.

CF
No. of Recommendations: 1
Why not post it though and blame it on American Jews?

You're being very naive, Susan.
Journalists, editors, television companies, media of any description who dare to be too critical of Israel tend to find themselves at the wrong end of very nasty campaigns, ranging from email blitzes and phone calls to proprietors to readership and advertising boycotts to questions at annual general meetings at public companies (remember the groans when some Zionists got up at the Walt Disney Company's meeting and complained about ABC's coverage of events in Israel?)
All manner of American Jewish organisations get involved in these campaigns.
And, of course, we've seen for ourselves the propaganda pumped out by Zionist organisations such as Honest Reporting (sic).

Remember - the American milch cow is too important for the survival of Israel to be allowed to wander too far away from the Israeli line.

Israel and its fellow travellers in the USA put a lot of effort into making dozy, propagandized America sing from the Israeli hymn sheet.

CF
at the wrong end of very nasty campaigns, ranging from email blitzes and phone calls to proprietors to readership and advertising boycotts to questions at annual general meetings at public companies

Have some actual examples with links? Is this the "American Jewish Lobby" of which you speak?

he's getting bolder by the minute. Now with Irvin behind bars, I bet they're looking for replacement worker bees.

Mark
Have some actual examples with links?

Do the work for yourself,Susan - it's all there on Google.
Try putting "readership boycotts over Israel" (for example) into the Google search panel. See what you get.

CF
Hey, Joel - with all due respect, that's not what the link is saying.

Hey, do we always have to be on point? Rightly or wrongly, there is a lot of censorship in the free-est of societies. In fact, we have the right to be a censor of ourselves and of any instrumentalities which we own and control. Where Censorship with a capital C comes into play is in the imposition of censorship by the state. I just find it an overly misused word.

As for the cancelled play, well, people have to decide when they want to be sensitive to the feelings and rights of others, and when no to be. You would be definitely right if you thought that New Yorkers are more sensitive to the risks of offending practitioners of Judaism than they are of offending practitioners of Islam. Its a matter of demographics, if nothing else.
"readership boycotts over Israel" strike me as passive resistance, similar to that advocated and practiced by Ghandi.

They are in no way the "very nasty campaigns" you mention.

You don't think people who disagree with a paper's stories on something or its angle can legitimately and defensibly take such action?
They are in no way the "very nasty campaigns" you mention.

You're not using Google with a sufficiently open mind, Susan.
use different words along the lines I've suggested and see what you find.
Just now I tried "Boycotts for Israel", and see what I got at once:

Great news ----- and keep up the good work until the LA Times either sees the light and makes the necessary changes, or it has to close down.....!!!!
As you will see from the material below, there is much interest and admiration for what you have been socking to the LA Times. I have also suggested to my British colleagues to take a page out of your book and copy your boycott on those who deserve it in Britain. Maybe you could all cooperate and exchange ideas - if you aren't doing so already, that is......

Perhaps it might be a good idea to set up boycott campaigns in England of anti-Israel newspapers (the Independent, the Guardian......), TV stations (BBC), radio stations, the Mayor of London, MP's (George Galloway, Dr. Jenny Tonge, Lynne Jones, Gerald Kaufman, etc.), the Foreign Office, entertainers (e.g. Emma Thompson, Ralph Fiennes, etc.), Academics (Profs. Steven & Hilary Rose, Jews who set up the "Boycott Israeli Universities" campaign), Universities, etc.

http://groups.msn.com/BoycottsForIsrael/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=1&ID_Message=49

CF
There is a deeply pernicious influence at work in America, steering, manipulating and colouring public opinion and government policy on behalf of Israel.

This is very damaging for America.

The interests of Israel and of America do not coincide.

CF

The Octopus, with tentacles reaching around the world.
The Octopus, with tentacles reaching around the world.

A strawman, Dov...as well you know.
I chose my words very carefully. They relate to America.

CF
deeply pernicious influence at work in America

You see it that way. I do not.

My elderly mom and aunt are very pro-Israel and would happily join one of these boycotts, email campaigns, etc. There are 1000s just like them. They are in no way evil or frightening or hard to understand. They, rightly or wrongly, see criticism of Israel as criticism of Jews. As people for whom the Holocaust happened in their lifetimes, they are hyper-sensitive to criticism of Jews and Israel.

As unsophisticated, not very political types, they are inclined to believe that Israel is always in the right. (just like they believe and forward all the idiotic urban legends that enter their email boxes.)

Others who have been the victims of widespread hatred (African Americans, others) are similarly knee-jerk in condemning what they see as undue criticism.

Unlike my mother, I understand that Israel is deserving of criticism. I think you focus on it in an insane way, when there are so many terrible things going on in the world. On a day if, G-d forbid, a nuclear bomb was dropped by, say, South Korea on Japan - you would see the events of the day as:
1. IDF commits another atrocity
2. US papers fail to cover it in a big way.
3. Nuclear bomb dropped on major Asian city

steering, manipulating and colouring public opinion and government policy

Lobbyists do this in my country at the federal level and in all the state legislatures every day those bodies are in session on every issue under the sun. They lobby for every terrible thing - doing away with environmental regulation, eliminating local phone competition, ensuring that we stay shackled to the same crummy medical system that doesn't cover everyone, etc. When I see all the things my government is lobbied to do and does - I see support of Israel as a comparatively minor matter and fundamentally fine. I see the out-of-all-perspective criticism Israel gets in the European media (esp. the British) as out of line with the reality of the situation.

MitsouR
I see support of Israel as a comparatively minor matter and fundamentally fine.

I'm sure you do. I see it differently.
At just one level, Israel's manipulation of American media, public opinion and politicians enables it to get away with brutal behaviour towards the Palestinian people that would be tolerated in no other nation.
Don't forget, Susan, it's always "terror attacks" by the Palestinians, never "resistance to oppression and occupation".

I see the out-of-all-perspective criticism Israel gets in the European media (esp. the British) as out of line with the reality of the situation.

Perhaps we see the situation as it actually is, unclouded by Zionist propaganda.

CF
Don't forget, Susan, it's always "terror attacks" by the Palestinians, never "resistance to oppression and occupation".

that's because the attacks are against soft targets, defenceless civilians.

Perhaps we see the situation as it actually is, unclouded by Zionist propaganda.

All you see is the anti Israeli/antisemitic propaganda. Ask anyone on this forum, its quite obvious.

Mark
After weeks of hearing how Western media outlets are now fearful of publishing anything critical of Islam, your latest rant about the Jewish lobby censoring the media has the oxymoronic property of being both refreshing and tiresome.

After weeks of hearing how Western media outlets are now fearful of publishing anything critical of Islam, your latest rant about the Jewish lobby censoring the media has the oxymoronic property of being both refreshing and tiresome.

You replied to the wrong person:)

Mark