Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I understand that I need to pay any fees to buy stocks in an IRA, out of the IRA. How about if you sell a stock, but all of the IRA money is in the stock. Would you be able to pay the fee from the money when the stock is sold or do you need to leave enough as cash in the account to make the transaction? I guess the same can apply to a regular brokerage account. If there is zero cash, can I sell?

Thanks,
youngr
Print the post Back To Top
Congratulations for managing to get 100% of your IRA into stock. Did select stock based on the price so that you would have exactly the fee amount left in cash?

Seriously,I am sure you can sell then have the fee deducted from the cash in the account.
Youngr asks:

<<I understand that I need to pay any fees to buy stocks in an IRA, out of the IRA. How about if you sell a stock, but all of the IRA money is in the stock. Would you be able to pay the fee from the money when the stock is sold or do you need to leave enough as cash in the account to make the transaction? I guess the same can apply to a regular brokerage account. If there is zero cash, can I sell?>>

The safest course for handling transaction fees within an IRA is to keep $200 or so in the broker's sweep account (similar to a money market account) at all times. However, for your example the broker would take his fee out of the sales proceeds. Thus, yes, you can sell.

I haven't done it yet. I'm just planning for next year and thinking about changing some of my mutal funds into stocks. I guess I'm thinking more Foolishly.