Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I fell behind (will spare the reasons) and am wondering how to best address these positions in my portfolio. I also confess that I didnt (and still don't) really have the knowledge base to understand them very well--breaking a cardinal rule I know. I understand they are down side protection but not sure if I should be taking any action. The total market value of portfolio today is $415K. Thanks for any help/direction!!

Symbol Name (Full | Short) Quantity Price Change Market Value Day
Change**
($ | %) Morningstar
Rating Reinvest
Dividends? % of
Account1 Next
Steps
SH
PROSHARES SH...
350 $27.82 +$0.08 $9,737.00 +$28.00 Ratings
Yes
2.24%
next steps
SPY
S P D R S&P ...
-120 $169.04 -$0.49 -$20,284.80 +$58.80 Ratings
No
--
next steps
DGS
WISDOMTREE T...
200 $47.18 -$0.23 $9,436.00 -$46.00 Ratings
No
2.17%
next steps
Total -$1,111.80
4.40%
Print the post Back To Top
Hi rwz1,

Okay... no problem. I hope you're well!

To catch-up: We have long since sold our SH shares, and closed (bought to cover, or bought to close) our SPY short. If you want to mirror us there, you will close both these positions.

That said, we closed those earlier this year (the first alert to do so went out in January; I think our first alert of the year; we finally covered via covered puts this summer). The market is up a lot since January. Thpse are hedges you have that may be more useful these days. Still, if you have a long-term outlook, I would close them to match us.

DGS we still own and we are adding about 1% to it by writing Dec. $46 puts. Please see our Sept. 11 trade alert under the Alerts tab.

This all begs a question, though: How well are you matching us elsewhere? Do you have cash, as we do? Do you own most of our "buy" stocks?

Just asking for context. I hope so, given the hedges you've had...

Best wishes, and welcome back!

Jeff
Thanks so much for the reply Jeff. I appreciate you asking for context.

I own all the buy and buy first stocks. The only option I own in this portfolio is the FB Jan. 2014 call (10 contracts). The total market value is approx. $418,000 including approx. $110,000 cash position.

Portfolio summary is as follows:

$307,963.73 Market value

$215,389.75 Cost basis

+$92,573.98 Unrealized gain

$109,773.4 Cash

I originally intended (and still would like) to learn about and implement option strategies and failed to make the time to do so. I liked the idea of hedging in the event of a pull back so bought the positions in SPY and SH. It appears there is an unrealized loss of approx. $11,000 in those positions today. While I do have a long term outlook (in fact I just joined MF One for 5 years) do you still suggest I close them out now?

I will now be looking to make time to understand how to implement MF One with this Portfolio. My initial thought was to continue to follow Pro as is with these funds (above) and start new with One. Would certainly welcome and appreciate your thoughts on that as well.

Thanks again.

Randy
Jeff,

You had asked for context. I apologize if I'm not following protocol properly but since I didn't see a response yet I'm posting as a reminder of the couple of open questions in my last post. Know you're crazy busy but didn't want the post to get "buried" never to resurface :)
Enjoy the weekend.

Randy
Hi Randy,

Apologies for the delay in responding. It's true, there are many boards to follow, and the Motley Fool One open, too, but still... we do try to answer in a timely fashion (and I hate to think of all the posts floating out there that we never see...)

As for your portfolio: Thank you for the context. Your cash/port balances look healthy (healthy cash as a hedge or future opportunity).

As for SPY and SH: Now that we started a 10% short in SPY (syn short), you can keep your SPY or SH short, assuming it's around that size, too. Adjust as needed.

As for how to use One alongside Pro: I think your idea of keeping Pro and One in separate accounts (or at least separate in your head, if you're able to, in one account) makes the most sense. There is no standard way we can offer to "merge" the two portfolios together. Each is its own entity, run by different people. So, I like your idea of two funds.

I hope all this helps, and apologize for the delay! (We need a tool that you can click that says, "Demand answer from Team!" or something like that, so those types of posts get flagged immediately for us. Otherwise, we have to stroll dozens of boards, hundreds of posts, looking for the ones directed to us.)

Let us know if you have follow-up. We'll get to it. :)

Best,

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Jeff,

(We need a tool that you can click that says, "Demand answer from Team!" or something like that,

PRO did away with the 24 hour board and I agreed with that since you guys don't need alarms going off. I'm not sure of the intent of "very timely questions" board as a replacement.

I suggest PRO change the VTQ board to be a place where a member not getting a team response and wanting to call attention, would simply post the applicable link there. It would only take a minute for the team to check this board for current questions and if done just once a day, nothing would be left hanging.

Abuse of this board could be called out in the weekly memo.

Regards,

Bob
Bob,

I think that's brilliant! Great idea.

Any thoughts on what this board should be called?

Could have some fun with that: "Where's My Answer, Bozos?" Or, "Pro Guys, Put Down the Fishing Pole and Answer My Question!"

Or, maybe something kinder.

The challenge we face is, since each board does not have a handy descriptor stating its intention, people will post to it all the time if the title isn't clear, rather than using it to point out posts that we've missed.

So, something like, "Posts the Pro Team Have Missed" may have to be the name? Or, "Posts Still Awaiting a Pro Response".

I'm sure someone can do better....

Best,

Jeff
Any thoughts on what this board should be called?

Your suggestions are fine.

Any member responses to this are going to be buried on this board which I'm sure very few members visit.

So - time to engage the services of our wonderful editor Ellen with a poll to name the board, including your two good ideas as two of the options with the third being a different name to be included in the member response post. The next weekly could advertise the poll also.

Hey Ellen - work alert!! Sorry bout that ;-)

I always want to defer to the coach but if he wants player input, so be it.

Regards,

Bob
I like the idea of a name that makes it really really clear what it's purpose is, so something similar to "Posts Still Awaiting a Pro Response" or even "Urgent Posts Still Awaiting a Pro Response". With such an explicitly obviously named board, that should cut down on the unnecessarily non-urgent posts that we'd previously seen on boards such as VTQ.

as always, i am full of carp
Hi Jeff,

When teaching, I suggest "KISS" ( Keep It Simple Student ).

Perhaps call the board Pro: Help Now or something similar.

By the bye, I'm still hoping for a discussion board for IYR.

Thank you,

Lon.
Hi Lon,

I like KISS but reflect on what carp just said.

A member going to a board titled "help now" and posting a new unique question on AAPL is not the purpose here. That will happen if the member doesn't know the exact intent of the board. It is for the member to post the original question on the AAPL board and if no response comes in a reasonable period, that member posts on the "new board" and just includes the link to the question on the AAPL board.

Considering the number of people who read the boards (very low) and new members, the board title has to be very clear as to intent.

Thanks for adding an input. I'm not "judging" anything ;-)

Regards,

Bob
Hi Bob,

You're right. (No surprise there).

Okay, it has been too long since my morning coffee. I am coming up with nothing. I'm sure that there is a nice simple solution and I hope that Ellen or someone else figures it out.

Thanks!

Lon.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Hey Bob,

So - time to engage the services of our wonderful editor Ellen with a poll to name the board, including your two good ideas as two of the options with the third being a different name to be included in the member response post. The next weekly could advertise the poll also.

Hey Ellen - work alert!! Sorry bout that ;-)

Hey Bob -- duly noted and added to the agenda for our next service meeting! :)

Best,
Ellen

(who suggests "Until We Can Clone Jeff, Unanswered Questions Go Here" as a board name)
Thanks for adding an input. I'm not "judging" anything ;-)

Is it me? Or is it that Bob is actually starting to become nicer with his postings. His last few posting that I have read is starting to be very considerate. I wonder if RB and SA analysis have worn him down to become a nice guy. I will have to check his posting on those boards before making a judgment call.

Glenn
Who is waiting for the oldfart 1946 to re-appear but maybe not in Pro.
Carp,

"such an explicitly obviously named board, that should cut down on the unnecessarily non-urgent posts that we'd previously seen"

Wanna bet on that? Be careful of what you ask for you might get it.

BigOil1
Thank you, Lon!

We'll also discuss IYR at our next meeting; the question is: Do we open boards for alternative trade ideas?

I have mixed feelings about it; it could potentially be a slippery slope. But we rarely (well, fairly rarely) suggest a whole different vehicle.

For those who don't know: Buying IYR was an alternative to shorting SRS. But as such, IYR doesn't have a board for discussion, although a good number of Pro members presumably own IYR.

Best,

Jeff
we'd previously seen on boards such as VTQ.
Hi Carp, Please help me .. I've only been subscribing for 3 years.
Please send me a link to the VTQ board, I've never seen mention of it, but appears valuable. Thanks. Floyd
Hi Floyd,

We don't have a VTQ board here on Pro... Can you ask any other questions you may have here? How can we help you at this moment?

And Lon:

We aren't opening boards for alternative trades like IYR right now. Apologies. Please post those questions under the official underlying ticker's board -- in this case, SRS. We've seen if we spread out the community on too many boards, it's more likely questions get missed. SRS has many people following it and we can talk about the alternatives, like IYR, there...

I hope this helps,

Jeff