Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
http://www.fool.com/specials/2006/06012600sp.htm

Congrats to Jim Gillies, the 2005 winner!

Richard
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
who?
No. of Recommendations: 1
I get it now. Not exactly the most handsome bunch, but jimbo was probably a 6 so he got the nod.
I'm a little disappointed MichaelRead chose to crop just the head, leaving the boat, sea, wind, spray, and herring out of his shot.

-MobyHerringG
Man, MichaelRead sure looks old.

swimdad
Had I known Odee supports the troop, he would have gotten my vote.

swimdad, supports the troops
No. of Recommendations: 7
Trenchrat is Richard Petty?
Who knew?

swimdad
No. of Recommendations: 9
The Royal Court 2005: Sausage Fest(e).

Next year, how about a token chick on the nominee list?

red

red

I think this year's list was dictated by the theme that was chosen.

swimdad
No. of Recommendations: 2

red

swimdad

=======================

Well, on the GOLP board, Odee *IS* an "honorary lesbian" ...

Diane

swimdad

=======================

Well, on the GOLP board, Odee *IS* an "honorary lesbian" ...

Diane

Not that theme.

swimdad
No. of Recommendations: 8
Man, MichaelRead sure looks old.

swimdad

Look, I party all night and drink lots so I believe, at 23, I may have some wear and tear yet I am a happy man.

Nice balloons, swimdad.

MichaelR

us men folk didn't nominate any of you, and for that matter neither did the women folk
Look, I party all night and drink lots so I believe, at 23, I may have some wear and tear yet I am a happy man.

What the hell are you drinking to end up looking like Sterling Hayden's and Kurt Vonnegut's love child.

RJ
No. of Recommendations: 13

What the hell are you drinking to end up looking like Sterling Hayden's and Kurt Vonnegut's love child.

RJ

Beer, RJ. The apex and zenith of civilization. The brew that every successful society has built the stanchions of its endurance – and in the failure to maintain its beer making ability failed to maintain its society.

The Egyptians brewed beer and built the pyramids; the Greeks brewed beer and created a philosophy; the Roman's brewed beer and conquered the world. Then the Egyptians stopped making beer (it used up grain they thought better as bread) and where are the Egyptians now? The Greeks stopped making beer because wine had a greater commercial value (the amphora was designed for wine, not beer) and where are the Greeks now? The Romans stopped making beer (it made Caligula's horse burp) and where are the Romans now. Dead societies that died beerless.

I am concerned with your country because its beer is, may I put this delicately, horse piss. Drink a six pack and all you do is pee. Not like us Canadians' beer that puts hair on your chest, swagger in your swagger, and makes the skag at the other end of the bar at the end of the evening someone you'd like to take home to mother.

Agreed, there are some American beers that are palatable yet palatability is a declining thing since you decided that beer in its true form is too too. You watered it down to lite. My definition of lite beer: this horse has diabetes.

A beer is a part of evolution: we grow in stature and stance when we have a beer that says it'll do something to you other than make you piddle. A good beer should have the effect of nectar of the Gods: the ability to move mountains, conquer all adversities, and reach the heights.

The Taliban doesn't like beer and that's why it is going to be a dead society dying beerless. The problem: too few Taliban reaching maturity after saying, “Here, hold my beer and watch this,” then careening down a slope hands off riding either a dirt bike or a 1500 cc Harley and smacking into a rail fence. The loss is a loss of manhood.

Beer is what fueled the Founding Fathers (although George Washington did have a distillery) and the United Empire Loyalists. The latter were those who decided they'd rather live under British rule following the War of Independence and came to Canada. They brought their brewing skills with them. What brewing skills they left behind resulted in, ugh, lite beer.

However, to your country's credit you are, in small instances created by smaller breweries, making beer to Canadian standards: two of them and you're ready to take on a sasquatch. Three and you're ready to take on the Taliban armed with a penknife and a used Kleenex. However, with too many standard American beers at the third all you want is the nearest washroom. Fie!

To me too many have lost their roots and gone to chardonnay. The slippery slope leading to tofu. Beer raises you to steak and raw at that. The BBQ giveth and beer giveth the belch that tells the host you're real satisfied. Unless its American beer that asks the question that's answered by, “Down the hall and second on your left.”

RJ, the reason I look so old is because I am old. I may be 115 yet I have the body of a 68-year-old and that's because I am preserved – pickled in alcohol.

Since you are younger than I may I offer this suggestion: drink beer. While abstinence may appear attractive, most of those practicing abstinence die under truck wheels while us drinkers are welded to either a bar stool or a couch immobile. There are no 18-wheelers in my living room.

MichaelR

No. of Recommendations: 3
MichaelR, regardless of what the voting results say, you are the perennial feste winner in my book.

RJ - off to buy beer, imported.

PS, you don't look a day over 67
PS, you don't look a day over 67

I bet Michael was a handsome lad when he was young.

Abe
Bravo!

I only have one wor...ummm...OK, two words to say;

Taddy Porter

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith_taddy.html

ßillƒ
No. of Recommendations: 3

I'll take the other side of that bet. I'll even give odds.

I'll take the other side of that bet. I'll even give odds.

I'm gonna take that bet, but shouldn't we define 'handsome' in advance in order to avoid any trouble?

Abe
shouldn't we define 'handsome' in advance in order to avoid any trouble? - Abe

Here's a start...

hand·some
adj. hand·som·er, hand·som·est
1. Pleasing and dignified in form or appearance.
2. Generous or copious: a handsome reward.
3. Marked by or requiring skill dexterity: did some handsome maneuvers on the skating rink.
4. Appropriate or fitting: a handsome location for the new school.
5. Large: a handsome price; won by a handsome margin.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=handsome

g!
<helpful>
Can anyone of them create a beer belch that makes the rafters ring?

I used to try and belch the alphabet, but always got stuck at W.

-synchronicity

PS- Seriously. Well, as serious as one can be about belching.
OH MY GOD! Former Congressman Joe Scarborough is our Feste Award winner!
Congrats to Jim Gillies, the 2005 winner!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Gillies, WHO? (no offense!)

Yes!, his credentials are well worth an award.

BUT!

Can someone please tell me who he is and where the votes came from?

I'm a little confused, here, only because I don't recall a vote?????

Hmmm!

Thank you for your patience.

KEZ
It ran for weeks.

On the side bar. Near post of the day.

Click in, cast your vote.

Just needed to look more closely.

Fluff