Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
FFerarra: I had the opportunity to visit the Sirius studios in New York and discuss, along with others, with Terence Sweeney of Sirius the home market issue. There is no home market for the Sirius system, he told me-- as well as others assembled for a visit to the studios. The marketing studies were extensive, he said, and about the only possibility for Sirius to deliver to home would be over some of its content over the EchoStar system, a product Echo would pay Sirius an incremental fee. Thre is going to be some "bundling" of value-added services with Ford, Mercedes, and EchoStar-- what they all are Mr. Sweeney did not elaborate except to say that some of the satellite ability for the car would prevent theft.

The auto market (I count 8 million cars now for Sirius installed radio), studies showed, was huge. I'll be glad if they get 2 million users myself-- but the lease market to which DM referred in the interview, I checked out some weeks ago. 1,260,000 cars/year among BMW, Mercedes, and Lincoln! So that looks good for Sirius.

Sirius does have some unique personalities for their programming. Bill Cosby is a name I recognize right away, as well as Leonard Slatkin. As for Rush Limbaugh, who needs him? (Political opinion on my part).

Anyway, the launches are what are important. There will be a launch Saturday of the Indonesian satellite on the commercial Proton, and then two more. Apparently Loral Corp (the satellite manufacturer) wants three Protons to launch before they launch in April. Two satellites will be launched in the third quarter because Loral wants to have full testing on the first satelllte that is launched. I think they also said the second and third satellite are a bit different than the first-- so they have to make allowances for that too.

All this information can be certified if you call Sirius in New York. I found Terence Sweeney very confident, polite, and ready to answer all questions. There definitely will be more OEM contracts. I think if they have three satellites successfully in orbit, the company should do well as an investment.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.