Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0


I have changed jobs recently. In my previous job, I had already hit the limit of FICA taxes for this year. However, my current employer says that they will deduct the FICA taxes for this year as if I just started earning this year! They say that I can get my excess FICA taxes back when I file my income taxes for this year.

I see some problems with this. First, I don't remember any place in the 1040 where I indicate what my FICA taxes were. Secondly, why would the IRS be refunding my excess FICA taxes? Is it not the SSA that gets the FICA money?

I am completely lost on this one. If any of you have any suggestions/experiences regarding this, please post a reply.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.