Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Quick question for my research in how to submit to an agent. I've picked up conflicting advice:

- an author friend advised that following a successful query letter, typically one submits a synopsis or summary, and the first say, three chapters, to an agent. If interest is expressed, then one proceeds to finish the manuscript and submit. PS: he's British and I am primarily aiming for the US market.

- The "Idiot's Guide to getting Published" on the other hand, advises to finish your manuscript first, before even sending out a query letter, ie, have your first draft complete, before you submit any text.

The Idiot's Guide says the first piece of advice applies to non-fiction books, but not to fiction. Any experience to show who's mostly correct? Input gratefully received.

Also, any Brits out there who may argue that the British market is the better bet for SF? I live in Portugal, so I'm not going to try locally - the only foreigners who can speak Portuguese are drunk Frenchmen trying to speak Spanish!

Why this is a specific problem for me, is that I'm attempting to write both a fiction and non-fiction book at the same time. I've written my first 100 pages of fiction (SF of course) and trying to figure how to allocate my time, ie, finish the fiction draft and get the query process underway, then get onto my non-fiction (project management) in about a year's time, or......

Get going with the fiction query, based on my 100 pages, and while I'm waiting, get going on the non-fiction much sooner? Of course I'd much rather spend my time on fiction, it's so much more fun, but I suspect my non-fiction project is more likely to pay out. Grrrrrrr.....

Unfortunately, this is all happening at a time when I also have a paying contract for technical writing, dreadful drudge stuff, but Hours x Rates = Happiness

PS: Ignore the last bit of whining..........

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.