Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Fidelity? I'm still waiting for the forms that I called and asked for two months ago. And they charge $75 to make a trade. Online. Ouch.

Seems you have a distinct bias mentioning only this piece of information.

That's for funds that aren't in their No-Transaction-Fee selections. There are plenty in that selection, so you should never need to pay the $75. Though yes, it's ridiculous. I think it's just more of an incentive to force people to use the NTF funds, and thereby force companies to join the NTF network.

Stock trades are anywhere from $8 to $20. But the OP said he was mainly interested in funds.

For your situation, Vanguard sounds like a very good choice. The minimums on IRAs are less for the funds and I believe for the IRA they may waive the account fee at only $500 or so (ask). The only problem is all their index funds have a $10K minimum, or else it's $10/year.

But Fidelity doesn't allow their index funds without $10K period. No option to pay a fee, you just can't be in them. Athough they may have index funds by other companies in their NTF network will lesser minimums (and higher expense ratio).

Such is the pain of a 'small' investor, which only a few K to invest. One good news, is as of January 1 you'll be elibile to put yet another $4K in a Roth for 2006, so you can begin to work your way up to levels that cause less problems :)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.