No. of Recommendations: 0
Figured that I would *really* feel stupid if I took single life and then died a year later. No to mention that wife would be mad at me for the next decades. ;-)

yes.. another aspect of the WOA --if you die too soon, your estate is much smaller than it would be.

but also requires you be able to bank all your SS money ..something neither my self or my neighbor has any chance of doing.
==========
Or 99.999% of other people, either. ;-)

that number must be high .. seems nearly everyone here thinks they can do it.

IMHO, the WOA choice is illusory. If you need the early money to live on, then clearly you will not be able to do the WOL because you can't pay back the money.
So WOA is only a possibility for those who *don't* need the early money. That probably means they have enough income and/or assets that the easly SS money is figurative pocket-change.
And in that case, there is little reason to WOL. If you didn't need $750/mo at 62 then you probably don't need $1000/mo at 66.

needing aint Wanting .. but another wrinkle -- if you don't need it, you're likely getting SS taxed .. so you don't get the full $250 extra.

(>:
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.